Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P vs CW question

Default P vs CW question

I have the P380 with a Hogue grip which I love. I upgraded from a used CW380 which I also loved and decided on the best they offered! Haha. Anyways, the CW seemed to have more of a pocket gun design (rounded slide end) than the more squared off PM versions. Same as the 9’s. Also same as the Glock gun! The 26,27,33 were all rounded at the slide end and now the Gen 5’s are like this while the 42,44 are not. Anyone got explanation for this.

While I don't have any idea why the one is rounded and the other is not. I do have question. I'm looking to get a Kahr 380. Well I'm debating between the LCP Max or the Kahr 380. I currently have the CW40 in black and I love how it feels in my hand. It has been my CCW pistol and I have been looking for a pocket mouse for two years. I will be trading my 32 Seecamp for one. My question is which gun shoots better and feels better? I'm going to assume they both are the same? I haven't been able to find a P380 but many shops in my area get the CW380 in from time to time or can bring one in for me.

Keebz: From what I understand, the P gets you an extra mag when new, as well as a fancy barrel that you would never notice in a belly gun. That and the slight difference in the slide. CW’s are more slab side like, similar to a Glock, while the P’s have a milled out part in the upper, foremost part of the slide, ending in a thinner, more blocky muzzle area. I think that if they rounded this thinner area, it may have weakened it too much. That little bit of extra metal in the CW allows for more of a “melted” muzzle if you would. A bit geometric or angled for a melt, but it does make for smoother reholstering. I’ve personally always preferred the C’s slide as far as looks go.

Poppatello: If having to choose between the 2 (P380/CW380) I’d pick a CW380 due to the lower price and slide design. (Just my opinion) Make sure you read up on them here before choosing. The earlier 380’s often had extractor issues, which I believe has been addressed, which is not a problem if you are handy with a set of French files. I have had my share of Kahr 380’s, but have gone to an LCP (not a Max, and not a 380. It’s the 22 LR variant). I can walk around the house in loose gym shorts and an LCP will not pull them off. I can not say that about a CW/P380. As much as I love Kahrs, their 380’s do not fit the bill for me when it comes to checking off all of the boxes for what I want in a pocket gun. Gym shorts aside though, I sometimes pocket my CW9. Kahrs are also as slim as slim gets, so that is a big thing for me. If you can try out both the LCP Max and a Kahr 380 that would be awesome as you’d really be able to make a more informed decision. Good luck on your quest!

The squared off slides at the muzzle end of Kahrs you see are called blunt nosed. I believe that these days all new Kahrs with the exception of the P380 have the chamfered, or beveled muzzle end. I'm not sure of when Kahr switched over but it was quite some time ago.
    Poppatello if you have a chance to shoot a P380 Kahr I think you'll find it to be softer shooting than your LCP. But, it's hard to get by the 10+1 on the LCP Max vs. the 6+1 of the P380. That being said I won't get rid of my P380 anytime soon.

Get the p380 and be done with it. You won’t regret it or think twice. LCP, had one before the p380 and couldn’t sell it fast enough. My p380 is an RAxxxx from the first production run. Had issues for the first 600 rounds from being very tight. That was more than 11 years ago. More than 4K down the pipe, not ammo fussy, accurate and reliable. The perfect pocket pistol in 380. If one wants the mighty 380.

I have and carry a P380 and love it. Luckly, it does not pull my pants down. I don't really "want" a .380 and would rather have a .50 BMG if I could only figure out how to pocket carry it. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    Get the p380 and be done with it. You wonÂ’t regret it or think twice. LCP, had one before the p380 and couldnÂ’t sell it fast enough. My p380 is an RAxxxx from the first production run. Had issues for the first 600 rounds from being very tight. That was more than 11 years ago. More than 4K down the pipe, not ammo fussy, accurate and reliable. The perfect pocket pistol in 380. If one wants the mighty 380.
    Had issues with the first 600 rds. and you got rid of the LCP???????? Makes sense to me..................

Yep, glad it makes sense to both of us. LCP wouldn’t dump a mag without a jam. Was replaced by Ruger and the replacement did the same so bye bye. Even those curved plastic pins that hold the frame half together would slide out. P380 slide to frame was too tight after it warmed up and my hand would be covered in plastic shavings from the frame rails. Back to Kahr for some mods and all was good. Hope that clears things up.

Default P380

Tough call! I like everything about the Kahr. Stainless slide, excellent trigger, low pro sights, stainless mags, 9.9 ounces. The LCP max is nice too. And with 12 rounds that’s awesome. My complaint is the slide release/lock back location, feels cheap,and I’ve seen a few in the counter that already have a brown rust on them. Who wants to deal with that? I’ve also had the bodyguard, NAA, and thought they were a tad heavy. I’d consider the Glock 42 also. A bit bigger but feels nice in hand. A P380 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster makes it’s insanely light and easy to conceal.
    good luck. Let me know what you decide on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppatello View Post
    While I don't have any idea why the one is rounded and the other is not. I do have question. I'm looking to get a Kahr 380. Well I'm debating between the LCP Max or the Kahr 380. I currently have the CW40 in black and I love how it feels in my hand. It has been my CCW pistol and I have been looking for a pocket mouse for two years. I will be trading my 32 Seecamp for one. My question is which gun shoots better and feels better? I'm going to assume they both are the same? I haven't been able to find a P380 but many shops in my area get the CW380 in from time to time or can bring one in for me.

CW380 is a lot cheaper and is basically the same gun. Rolled instead of engraved lettering, regular riffling instead of the polygon, slide release is different but can be changed out for $30 or so, front sight is screwed on instead of dovetail, ABOUT HALF THE PRICE OF A P380. I own both and there is no practical difference in shooting. I have the P because I caught it on sale for $300. Love the gun, great for pocket carry, shoots well, and have no problems since I did the "new Kahr prep in the sticky under new owners forum after 100 rounds. I now have thousands through it and trust it to function every time. I have a PM9 but usually carry the CW380 because of weight and size.