Xssights   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please help me identify my new to me T9

PK, I have mostly heard that Kahr sights are extremely tight. And they may well be. And so on one of my Elites I was very hesitant to change out the sights until one day I got up the gumption to give them a whirl with my Wheeler. This after having had replacement sights for six months or so beforehand. I was so surprised at how easily they slid out, front and rear. Now granted I had sent the Elite back to the factory right after I bought it new in early '03 to have some finishing blems fixed and to have the bar dots replaced with night sights. So it could be that whoever there who did the sight switch filed the new ones enough that they were no "factory tight" (though they never drifted on all those years), and if so that could account for the relative ease with which they did come out for me. It's the only set of Kahrs I've ever attempted so the jury is still out on the force required (at least for me). But point is that with a good tool, like the Wheeler and proper care during the process it is generally a mar-free scenario. I use stips cut from those thin camping cutting boards to put in between my slides and the tool's bumpers to avoid bad things happening. I've replaced a good number of sights on several brands with no issues with this tool. And after so many years of living with dead sights on that otherwise beautiful example of a Kahr I now have a functioning set of good sights on it.

yes - somebody did you a favor at the KAHR factory because these factory sights are TIGHT. This happens when you " push, push, push!!!" Had to whack out the stuck piece in the front dovetail with a punch and then the rear sight was stuck about halfway off and would not move at all and the rest was done with a whole lot of whacking !!!! I've actually kept the slide bare on my P9 Covert ( snag free and smooth ) - I mainly carry my P45 and the P9 Covert is a 2nd back up. I'm not sure if I'm going to push some night sights back on or maybe machine a " U " down the top of the slide.

I may have understated the process. Mine did not just slide out without work. When using the Wheeler on tough sights it sometimes reaches a point where it feels as if it has bound up. When this happens it helps to tap the shoe side of the tool lightly with a small hammer to free up the sight. This is what I had to do with the Kahr's sights. After a few taps the sights broke free and came out without much trouble. The hammer I use is a gunsmith hammer with brass head on one side and nylon on the other. I use the brass side. It doesn't take much of a tap, or three. When the sight breaks free you'll know. I have yet to encounter any sights that I could not push with it.

I was browsing spare parts, pieces, springs etc. for my new T9 on KAHR SHOP and found this under SLIDE ASSEMBLY PARTS - not sure its been posted anywhere here yet - but KAHR has a 4.5" Threaded available for their pistols - I'm pretty sure there are a few of us here that would love a 4.5" barrel for their Kahr's.

Factory Kahr Arms Barrel, 9mm, extended &amp threaded in 1/2-28, includes thread protector. Match-grade barrel has a threaded muzzle to enable mounting of a compensator or suppressor. Fits Kahr TP/CT9/CW/P/S/ST9 only. Thread-1/2-28 Thread Length-.445 Barrel Length-4.5 inches Polygonal Riffling May Require Minor Fitting

It's $160

Cool for those who would. I'd still like to see a K45

Quote Originally Posted by pk1313 View Post
    I was browsing spare parts, pieces, springs etc. for my new T9 on KAHR SHOP and found this under SLIDE ASSEMBLY PARTS - not sure its been posted anywhere here yet - but KAHR has a 4.5" Threaded available for their pistols - I'm pretty sure there are a few of us here that would love a 4.5" barrel for their Kahr's.

[COLOR=#4F4F4F][FONT=Karla]Factory Kahr Arms Barrel, 9mm, extended & threaded in 1/2-28, includes thread protector. Match-grade barrel has a threaded muzzle to enable mounting of a compensator or suppressor. Fits Kahr TP/CT9/CW/P/S/ST9 only. Thread-1/2-28 Thread Length-.445 Barrel Length-4.5 inches Polygonal Riffling May Require Minor Fitting
    Looks like this barrel only fits polymer models.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Cool for those who would. I'd still like to see a K45
    What he said.
    NRA Benefactor

OK - got some more info today. Spoke to Mark at the KAHR Arms (he was very helpful), he told me the gun was manufactured 02/20/2003 and then on 03/12/2003 it was sent to Bodycote Thermal Processing in Laconia NH and from there it went to a distributor. He could not tell me if KAHR was doing their Black Diamond DLC in house back in 2003 - he did say often Shot Show specials or prototypes were often done this way. Nevertheless, this thing looks factory - it's almost too pretty to shoot. I've taken it apart, cleaned and lubed it and worked the slide 200-300 times. I have yet to take a dremel to polish anything yet and I SO want to bevel the magwell but it'll show stainless if I do.

Pretty cool that they got back with you and let you know. Sounds like it is a bit special!

Interesting provenance. Looks like a keeper.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.