Xssights   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun

Thread: Back from the hunt

Default Back from the hunt

My wife and I went 2-4 on tags this year. My wife had a cow elk and buck tag, I had a bear and buck tag. We both got our bucks, my wife had a 250 yd uphill shot and missed on the only chance she had on her elk tag, and I never saw a bear.

All in all, I'd say we had a good year. I will be deboning the deer in a couple of days and then making sausage, excluding the backstraps and tenderloins. Those are just too good to make sausage out of. Really would have like to get an elk, but at least we have some left in the freezer from last year. Sorry for no pics. I can't find the charger for my camera battery and I don't have a clue how to get photos from my phone to the computer. Plus, we didn't take any pics, as my wife shot a small 4 point (that would be 10 points for you whitetail folks, and we don't count brow tines) and mine was a largish 4X3 that looked like a huge fork horn from more than 50 yards.

After the sausage is in the freezer and I get a week or so of relaxation, I'll be looking forward to next year's hunt. Hope everyone else had good luck hunting, or for those still hunting!

Congrats!

We struck out this year. we hunt OTC bull elk in second season. Our area burned this year (north of Steamboat Springs, unit 14 for those familiar with Colorado). The forest wasn't healthy; lots of beetle kill and blowdown so burning helped it. We hunted it anyway, I saw some elk tracks, a momma and baby moose, a nice bull moose at 33 yards, but only one in our group of 5 saw a bull elk but no shot. That's all the elk we saw. I think the same guy that saw the bull had a buck and bear tag too, but we didn't see any deer at all and the only bear sign we saw is where they did #2 in the woods.

Should be great hunting there in the future as fires really help the young stuff start growing and the elk like eating the young stuff.

We hunt Unit 49 that had a fire about 3 years ago. The burn area has more grass than I've ever seen and plenty of elk sign. My brother and nephew came across so elk in the burn area but had no shot present itself.