Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: stainless guide rod

Default stainless guide rod

Is there an advantage to the stainless guide rod for the K series?

IDK, but I did have a problem with rust on my P380's guide rod and everything touching it, so I got the SS one and the Lakeline striker while I was at it at Kahr. (P380 new in 2010). I couldn't seem to stop it and the spread with just cleaning and oiling the rod and the slide stop the slide stop pin/spring.

I live in NE FL and wear the P380 most of the time... all of the time around the house and yard.

I had an SS K9 from 1998 for a long time and never noticed a problem with the original guide rod or spring.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I think the rumor is the recoil springs slides more smoothly on the stainless rod, doubt anybody could tell the difference but it's a good theory. I put one in my K40 and will probably do so with my K9 also.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

thanks to all

Theoretically, it tames recoil slightly due to the weight near the muzzle. I can't confirm that, because it's been years since I changed mine out.

Don't know if there is really any advantage but I have one in my K9. Seems like they should just come with it since the rest o the gun is stainless.

Think I'll get a new too.

Are you guys talking about the recoil rods made by Wolff Gunsprings?

Kahr sells stainless, solid guide rods for the K9, as does ssguiderods.com

I can attest that it's more than a rumor Colonel. The 1995 K9 I bought had the solid black rod and after working at getting the spring off what I was left with as a rod that had rings around it to the point that I could have used it as a nail file. I'm exaggerating a bit but the rings were definitely worn into the metal. I would imagine that whoever owned it before me did not clean or oil it as often as they should.
    I replaced it with one from ssguiderods.com. And I just ordered a new stainless one for my new K9 from Kahr today when I ordered the wood grips for it also. The factory rod in the new K9 is black and hollow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought a SS guide rod from Kahr for my MK40 Elite just to replace plastic with stainless.
    Didn't like the cap having to be attached to the rod...
    Ended up with a Wolff black steel RSA that I like a lot