Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun

Thread: Brass flakes?

Default Brass flakes?

I thought I'd finally clean out the slide components (FPS, ejector, etc.) of my main carry CW45. I was thinking that I'd see a lot of lint, as lint tends to make it's way to the outside of my slide after a week or so of carry.

Good news in that I didn't see any significant signs of lint in the FP channel and limited lint around the ejector. However, I found what appears to be brass flakes everywhere. When all was said and done, I had about 5-6 times as much flakes stuffed inside the FP channel as what you see in the pics. Is this normal? I mostly shoot WWB JHP through this firearm (although it sees more high-tech ammo now and then).

CW45PF2(small).jpg
    CW45FP(small).jpg

Sometimes normal, flushing out the striker channel with brake cleaner every few cleanings should keep that to a minimum.
    A complete break down once in awhile to make sure is what I do.
    Some don't suffer the brass leavings that much.

Used to find a lot of machining debri in the striker channel when new, we don't hear of that so much anymore. I think they are a bit more diligent in cleaning them up prior to assembly now days.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Soft brass material from the primer. Anytime I hand-load with Federal or any brass primer there is more stuff in the channel. It’s not limited to Kahr. Being Kahr does not employ a rebound fire pin spring, there is a small amount of primer smear. At times the flakes are too large to be flushed. Strip it down and clean you will sleep better.

Thanks guys! I just thought I'd ask. I've been very busy lately so I haven't made it around to check my summer carry. I'll update with that firearm when I have a chance. I shoot a different ammo in tha gun and am now curious about whether it will be the same.

Update... I finally got around to cleaning the PM45 (summer carry). Although there were still some brass flakes in the firing pin channel, it was noticably less (particularly once you get into the front of the firing pin channel... right where it sticks through the slide to hit the primer). Since I've shot more rounds overall through the CW45, I don't really know if it's related to the WWB I use. I will say that I have shot more "fancy" rounds through the PM45 (Rem GS 185 +P and Corbon 230gr GD short barrel), so I don't know if that's also a reason for the reduced brass flakes in the PM45.