CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frustrated P380 Owner

Default Frustrated P380 Owner

Hi all,

I have been a long time reader of these forums, but this is my first time posting. I am at the end of my rope with my P380 CA edition. I have almost 1400 rounds through the gun total. After the first 300 rounds with various issues that did not stop after break in period, it went back to Kahr and they replaced the mag disconnect spring and fitted the extractor. I then fired 200 more rounds with continued issues. It went back to Kahr and they replaced the follower on one of my magazines, replaced the barrel, adjusted the slide stop spring, and polished the slides top. I then put 400 rounds through the gun with only a single stovepipe. I considered it more or less fixed at his point. I did not fire the gun for about 6 months then put another 150 rounds through on 2 separate range outings. I had a lot of feeding issues at this point that somehow appeared in that 6 month period. I would constantly have rounds not properly going into battery and would have to fiddle with the slide to get it to close all the way. I called Kahr and they recommended trying new recoil springs (I was at about 1300 rounds). I put in the new springs and put another 100 rounds through the gun with more feeding issues as well as a bunch of stovepipes.

At this point, I have sunk the cost of the firearm, 1400 rounds, and numerous range fees into trying to have a reliable firearm for self-defense ccw. I have cleaned the gun between each outing, tried to oil it more and less at times to see if that had an effect, used multiple magazines, used different brands of ammo, and I have had other experienced shooters try it in case I was limp wristing. At this point, I am quite frustrated and unsure what to do. I hate to send it to Kahr again and waste more time/money testing it in the hopes that it actually becomes reliable. I am not particularly comfortable/experienced with the types of DIY repairs that are mentioned on this forum, so I am not really sure what my options are. I guess I am hoping that some on here might have advice and/or hope that this situation can and will be rectified. Perhaps Kahr might offer a full replacement firearm? This whole situation has soured me on Kahr and on the P380, though I had really hoped to love it. Thank you for your time.

Sorry to hear that. At this point, I would personally give up on it. Sometimes you get a gun that is just a lemon. A careless worker in the production line, the last one made before a tool was changed out as it was realized to be worn out of spec, etc, etc. I’ve read about certain revolvers where the process of boring out the barrel ended up with the bore being out of line with cylinder or frame, essentially “clocked” out of line once installed on the frame... lot’s of things have to be just right or malfunctions will be a norm.
    I think you said it...you are not inclined to take on more repairs or to pay for more repairs, so keeping it sounds out of the question. I like a challenge (usually, forget the Star I bought and quickly sold), but sometimes they just are not worth it. You may find that very same model, made at a different time, that will run like a scalded dog with no effort at all. I have read others on here loving that model and having great success with them, so again think you just may have bought a lemon.

First thing. Did you follow the "New Kahr Prep" sticky in this column. Most people use grease, not oil and run the guns very wet. Variety of ammo counts less than quality. I have 2 P380s, Gave one to a girlfriend. I also have a CW380. I followed the New Kahr Prep and they all ran great. The CW had problems in the first 100 rounds so I did the New Kahr Prep and have not had a problem since. The Ps got the treatment before being fired and There has never been a problem with either one. I'd try doing it to your gun and if that doesn't cure it I would keep sending it back on their dime until it runs or they give you a new one that does. They are great little guns and I carry mine most of the time. Good luck. There is also a sticky about extractor claw tension that I later applied so my 380s will run any ammo.

I had assumed when he posted that he was a long time reader that he would have already done the prep, but you know what assume spells... The extractor shaping could help, but doesn’t sound like something he wants to take on. Both good points though!

You could try what has been suggested but I think you already know what to do. I would have called it a day after the repair. If Kahr can't fix it, who can????????? Trade it off. 1300 rds. at today's prices are about $600. You could have purchased 2 new small pocket rockets for that price. The wifey has been shooting an LCP II for about a year with no issues for $251. I am one who hates to throw in the towel but it sounds like you should take your marbles and go home. How can you ever trust it to save your life? To me they've always been too ammo and limp wrist sensitive. I would definitely tell Kahr once again what is happening but wouldn't spend another penny shooting or sending it in. Good Luck.

Personally I'd send an email to Kahr almost word for word same as your post. See what they have to say at this point.

I'm a devout don't waste my time on a 380 but many love them.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Hey all, thanks for the help! I have done many of the proper prep sticky steps, though I do not have a dremel for part 3 and I have not sanded per part 5. It does not seem to me that I should have to purchase a dremel or sand paper to get the gun working when it has repeatedly gone back to Kahr. I realize that others may be more "hands on" but that's just not where I am at this point. Otherwise, I have followed the recommendations. I took Bawanna's suggestion and sent an email to Kahr with the above. Otherwise, I think BirdsThaWord and berettabone pretty well verbalized where I'm at. Thanks for the confirmation everyone! Much appreciated.

They speak the truth, there reaches a point where one looses confidence in a gun and at that point just set it aside as a project. With some effort it may earn that trust back but with firearms trust and confidence are everything.

Do keep us posted on what Kahr has to say about it, you've been through enough, hopefully they will take care of it and start at getting that trust back.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Hello fortheone589 sorry to hear of your problems and frustrations but you aren’t the first to have issues with a Kahr .380 it seems you either get a good one or unfortunately get one that just drives you crazy…..I would say that you have done everything possible to correct the problems and it’s time to move on……The Ruger LCP’s seem to work and I have a Beretta Pico .380 that has been 100% and never had a hiccup with any ammo…..I don’t carry it often except for funerals or weddings when I have to wear a suit and the little thin Pico just disappears in a pocket or suit coat and I trust it to work as it should……I wish you luck but I wouldn’t spend another dime on a lemon………Let us know what you decide to do but sometimes it’s just best to cut your loses…..We have all been there…….

I am stubborn and would send it back again. I'd tell them in no uncertain terms that it had better be perfect this time or else they had better be ready to send me a new gun and 200 rounds to break it in. The situation is total BS and they should have fixed or replaced the gun long ago. I tend to get in manufacturer and service people faces and drive them crazy with communications until I get my way or my money back. If you send the gun back again include a bill for the ammo in excess of the first 200 rounds.