Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Frustrated P380 Owner

Hi all,

Appreciate the continued suggestions. Unfortunately, I don't have many options on roster in California for a pocketable 380. Otherwise I would love a LCP. Only other option here is a Sig p238 but I'm not as keen on a 1911 style firearm and I'm a leftie which creates problems with the default right-handed safety. Kahr gave me a label to send it in and said it will be up to their service manager to issue a replacement. At this point, I am hopeful to get a replacement. If I do, it will be a decision as far as whether I roll the dice on testing out the new one or just sell it as new without firing it and move on/give up on a pocketable 380 at least in this state.

I didn't know you lived in a Communist country. As far as I know, the Ruger LC380, Bersa models like the Firestorm, and the Sig 232 are ok for Cal. I understand your feelings on the small 1911 types. Not my thing either. The Sig is a really nice firearm, but probably too large/heavy for pocket carry. IMHO, if it were me, and I received a replacement, I would trade it new and move up in caliber. If you're stuck on .380, you could sell/trade it and pick up a LC380 for the same or less than the Kahr cost, maybe even recoup a bit of cash. You could also look at it as you already have a lot of time and money invested, so what's to hurt if you shoot a few boxes through the new replacement. It may run like a champ. Personally, I couldn't have the trust needed with the design to keep it as a defensive pistol. You could also drop down to .32 caliber. Depending on ammo, probably just as potent as .380. You have so many more options going up or down in caliber from .380. I'm not sure what Libbyfornia has against .380 cal. They have craploads of .45's on their list. In my mind, a smaller caliber than .380 with lots of boolets in the magazine is just as potent as a .380 with 6 or 7.

Tell me about it. The Ruger ends up being the same size as a 9mm M&P Shield as far as I can tell, which would obviously be preferable at that point. I believe the Bersa is that size as well. The sig 232 looks to be discontinued too. I have a glock 26 but it's a bit too fat for me to conceal easily. I loved the size of the kahr but maybe I'll have to settle for a middle ground with the shield. An alternative is the PM9 but I'm kind of wary of Kahr now. My thinking on selling it new without firing it (if I do get a replacement) is that I can honestly say it is a brand new never been fired gun. If I test it out, especially if it has issues, I would want to say that and would lose value. Maybe the state of the P380 is such that a new one is likely to work fine for me though. You folks would know that better than me.

A year or so ago when the all black P380s were on sale for $305 I bought two of them and they ran perfect right away. One went to the girl friend. I did do the new Kahr prep when I got them. My CW I ran 100 rounds through with about 13 failures then I did the Kahr prep and it has not missed a beat either. If you want to move up in size, the PM9 is a bit bigger and heavier than the 380, but still relatively small. They seem to run great for everyone right away. I like my PM9, but carry the 380 most of the time due to size. Good luck.

I pocket carried an MK9 for almost 9 years. I wouldn't hesitate to get a PM9....................................... This is why most own more than one firearm. Makes things so much easier in the versatility dept.

My P380 was bought used, but ran great for a long time. Then it started having the kind of issues you mention. Sent in to Kahr MULTIPLE times, they tried everything, and it finally turned out to be the frame which had "fatigued" for some reason. Your problem is probably not that, but problems with these can be hard to isolate and need many attempts to solve. Here's the point:

I got frustrated and bought another while waiting (a CW380.) Since then I'm a believer in redundancy. I carry one, keep the other in the range bag, and rotate them. (I actually now have 3 because of the irresistible sale on black P380s a few years ago.) No problems for a long time, but if and when one has any issue, it will go straight back to Kahr, and back again as many times as it takes. Having another to carry while waiting drastically reduces the inconvenience and frustration.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

SlowBurn... Just curious, but did it go back for free? I’ve never had them give me the time of day, much less offer to repair anything. Just wondering how that goes?

Quote Originally Posted by dustnchips View Post
    A year or so ago when the all black P380s were on sale for $305 .
    Man oh man! Those were the good ol days. Wish that sale would come around again!!!

Every time. Even though it was a used gun when I bought it, and well out of warranty they never asked. My only cost was when the frame was replaced, that's the serial numbered part, so it had to go through FFL transfer, and the dealer charged me for that.
    I have no complaints about kahr service. They just sent a return authorization label and off it went. I found it easier to use email instead of phone to request the repair.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
    Every time. Even though it was a used gun when I bought it, and well out of warranty they never asked. My only cost was when the frame was replaced, that's the serial numbered part, so it had to go through FFL transfer, and the dealer charged me for that.
    I have no complaints about kahr service. They just sent a return authorization label and off it went. I found it easier to use email instead of phone to request the repair.
    Thanks for letting me know. If I ever need it I may give them one more shot.