CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Mag Well look off center to you? My Kahr p45

Do your mags seat properly with the slide back?

Quote Originally Posted by dubious_79 View Post
    Hi, I'm having trouble getting my mags to fully seat in my p45. I am sanding down the base plates a little at a time to fit it better. I noticed that on the frame my magwell looks a little bit uneven. See the arrow in the pic below. Is this because of the Kahr offset barrel design? Does it need to go back to the mother ship?

My P9 does have the grip rounded off tapering toward the back. Yours looks to be a little uneven in the photo. But that's just a minor external flaw that really doesn't matter as far as the function of the gun. I really doubt that the mag well is off center. And no, the offset feed ramp doesn't require any offset in the mag well.

I would be very careful about sanding off the base plates. The Kahr plastic mag base plates are on the thin side as it is. I had one fail at the groove and dump out all my rounds once. Admittedly, it was a very old mag that had been carried for many years. I replaced all my plastic 9mm bases with steel, but I see that isn't an option for the P45. Have you tried using a 1911 mag? I have read that some 1911 mags work in the P45.

Quote Originally Posted by dubious_79 View Post
    Hi, I'm having trouble getting my mags to fully seat in my p45. I am sanding down the base plates a little at a time to fit it better. I noticed that on the frame my magwell looks a little bit uneven. See the arrow in the pic below. Is this because of the Kahr offset barrel design? Does it need to go back to the mother ship?

My CW45 (bought new about 3 years ago) has similar beveling although it's even. Is the gun/magazine new? A full mag pressed into a closed slide gives a lot of tension and care must be made to make sure the magazine is seated properly (such as when chambering a round, topping off the magazine, and reinserting). If you don't pay close attention to this the mag might not be fully seated and can pop out when firing. I noticed this issue when everything was new, but not so much now. However I still pay attention when topping off. This shouldn't be an issue with the slide open, i.e. when reloading from slide lock.

I don't know if it reduced this occurrence, but I've since had my mag release button coated which might have aided in this issue. I had my Kahr carry guns' mag releases coated because they were showing signs of rust after carrying in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    OK, and what about the beveling of the outside of the magwell. Is it post-factory as it appears? Because from all appearances it is only that beveling that makes the magwell appear to be off center.
    I agree.
    FWIW, here's a shot of my CWP 45 (a mix of parts); note how both sides of the mag well are beveled to mimic each other

A side view of the magazine fit:

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>