Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this right? From new owner

Welcome Mk2dave, glad you found us, like Bird said, there are many nice folks here and this is a good source of info on anything Kahr related…….Your pistol looks to have a few miles on her but that’s a good thing, it’s broken in and is a shooter……..From picture 3 top view of the frame the metal rails look a little dirty so get you some NON-Chlorinated brake cleaner (Green Can) at an auto parts store and clean those up until they shine, use a scotch bright pad if needed and when you reassemble it use some good gun grease on the front and rear rails…..It is always a good idea with an unknown pistol to replace the recoil spring assembly and mag springs which are inexpensive and gives you a baseline starting point going forward…….My first Kahr was a CW40 which was a problem child and was how I found this forum, mine was busting mag followers like crazy……..Kahr later fixed the problem but if I were you I would go to Lakeline.com and get some of their very nice aluminum followers which will solve that problem…..Alfonse is a member here and his products are first rate and I have them in all my Kahr magazines because they work well and improve feeding…….As said before the picture of the muzzle with the barrel sitting low with space at the top of the slide is perfectly normal for a Kahr and a brand new one will look exactly the same………So again welcome to Kahrtalk, good luck and let us know how she shoots…….

Welcome, Mk2Dave!

all looks perfectly normal on your new(to you) PM40. I think of it this way… any scratches that are on it now, you woulda put them on yourself. And, the “worn” plastic rails are normal. You should see my P380 rails. Runs perfectly.

Broken mag followers can be normal, like others said. And like others said, I would order two aluminum mag followers from Lakeline and call it a day. They will last as long as you have the gun.

As for a recoil spring assembly, you could replace that but I would shoot it first. If it runs, it runs. But, I would order a new recoil spring as a backup. Kinda like having a backup bottle of ketchup, mustard, and mayo (or Miracle Whip if you have good taste) in the pantry. I’m sure I’ll get at least one nasty comment about the Miracle Whip, but not about the Lakeline followers. Everyone seems to be happy with those.

Welcome to the forum!

-Wlf

Can you post a side view pict of the slide? More so a side view of the muzzle. Is it a blunt nose slide?

The reason the muzzle hole in the slide is oval is because the back of the barrel drops down during extraction. Without the clearance the barrel would bind in the hole in the slide. The back of the top hole holds the barrel in place when the gun is in battery. If you look closely at the hole you will see that the bottom is larger in the back for the same reason. Short story, the barrel locks up in the back of the top of the hole and the front of the bottom of the hole. Just check it for up and down movement when in battery and it should ease your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    Can you post a side view pict of the slide? More so a side view of the muzzle. Is it a blunt nose slide?
    I can't post pics from my phone. I'll jump on this tomorrow. What are you looking for? I took a pic perpendicular to the muzzle and then at maybe 15 degrees.

Picture one and two of the front the plastic frame rails. The damage to the rails is from the slide bashing during recoil. I had an early, first iteration pm45. BEFORE the tapered nose on the slide. Let’s call it blunt nose or gen 1. The frame was tore up just like yours. You could feal the slide bashing the frame on recoil. As suggested by Kahr, I played with the recoil assembly. It went back to Kahr and they machined the frame to clean up the area in question. On the third trip back for the same issue, Kahr replaced the frame and all was good.

If one goes back ten or twelve years, that is when the tapered slide nose appears. The slides and barrels are about .125 longer than the blunt nose. I was told this change fixed the frame bashing. My replacement pm45 frame is machined to compensate. So in conclusion, I would contact Kahr with pictures and discuss swapping the frame.

DJK, what your saying makes a lot of sense. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you see.
    I know someone makes a recoil spring everyone likes... is it Wolf or Wolf-something? I'm wondering if a tired spring might also be in the mix.

There's nothing wrong in these last pictures. All Kahrs have that droop in the front. And it's Wolff springs you're thinking of. They can be found on eBay, and also gunsprings.com, but be prepared for frustration in going to the latter because their website can be challenging at times.

edit: Oh, and btw since your PM40 is a blunt nose it just might have a plastic/polymer mag release on it. If so you can call Kahr and either have them send you one for free, or they might possible charge you if the gun was registered to someone else originally. The plastic ones can wear out and cause premature ejection

That’s the original version. Just look at the current ones and the nose of the slide is longer and tapered. The internal machining of the slide is also a bit different given the added length. New springs ain’t going to matter with the frame battering. Been there with the pm45. The older recoil assembly is shorter than the current offerings and coil count is two or three less on the outer spring. You can order new springs from Kahr and swap them out or an entire assembly. That’s IF they still offer the old version. I’d send them an email with pictures or call and see what they say.

And yes check that mag catch. We all hate premature ejection of the mag.

Almost forgot, the DLC is a great finish. Looks like yours was just oiled. Rub a drop of oil on the DLC and make the finish pop.

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    That’s the original version. Just look at the current ones and the nose of the slide is longer and tapered. The internal machining of the slide is also a bit different given the added length. New springs ain’t going to matter with the frame battering. Been there with the pm45. The older recoil assembly is shorter than the current offerings and coil count is two or three less on the outer spring. You can order new springs from Kahr and swap them out or an entire assembly. That’s IF they still offer the old version. I’d send them an email with pictures or call and see what they say.

And yes check that mag catch. We all hate premature ejection of the mag.

Almost forgot, the DLC is a great finish. Looks like yours was just oiled. Rub a drop of oil on the DLC and make the finish pop.
    Thank you everyone for the guidance. The slide WAS covered in oil, it was just so dry it all got sucked up. More oil to come.

I contacted Kahr re: the frame and mag release. I'll probably shoot this weekend and report. I do have 2 functional mags, but getting those followers are on my shopping list for the 2 suspect mags. I have 4 total mags.

If the poly rails don't affect function, its not high on my priority list. The premature ejection though, that's an issue.