CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Cars??....................

Default First Cars??....................

I'll start a thread about cars. First driven, first owned...........First driven, 1965 Ford Galaxie, 240 cu. in. 6 cyl. with a three on the tree. It was the old mans. He took me to a street called Barstow St. hill. He showed me how to stop and start on a very steep hill using the parking brake as an aid, without rolling backward or forward. In those days, it was on the driving test if you used a stick for your test........First car owned for all of you'se car heads.................1963 Chevy Impala, 327 cu. in. 450 hp, Holley 750, Edelbrock Spider High Rise manifold, solid lifters, Isky cam, Hedman Headers, Hurst 3 speed, 4.11 posi rear end, air bags with bars. Took it to Hales Corners Dragway a few times and grudge raced it. Two times down the track for $8 which was a lot of money back then. First time was a track test, second was a race. You win, you keep going, you lose you're done. You wanted to get your $8 worth. Had to get fuel from the airport, with higher octane. $ 1.15 a gallon, almost bankrupted me along with tires needed. Only car I ever owned where I could literally watch the gas needle move as it was idling...................

My first was a 1950 Plymouth. I bought it for $10 [when I was 10], drove it home parked it in driveway. At supper time my Dad asked all who's car is that in drive way? I raised my hand and his response was park it behind garage from now on. I blew a rod and moved on to a 1953 Ford....then came a 1956 Nomad, 1933 Ford hot rod and it went on from there.....many hot rods. All us kids in neighborhood had our own cars. We all drove the back roads. I lived not far from the Kennedy's in Massachusetts and the Kennedy's owned a gravel company. They let us all drive in the gravel pits and forest roads that the company owned.
    Street racing was huge where I grew up. The cops even were into it. The cops out on the cape ran t-buckets and would entice you into race then throw the cherry up on dash and pull you over. Common police cars were Hemi Belvederes and GTO's. We all had a local spot we street raced at known as the A&M Raceway which was part of the freeway. There was a State Trooper there who's motto was "if you can out run me...you won't get a ticket". He drove a Hemi Belvedere with 2:76 gears in it. Very few could beat him. Here are a few old pictures from the A&M days.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Here was my first 55 Chevy. Sitting off waiting for my turn to race on the A&M Raceway
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

My first car driven was a '72 Mercury Monterey. Ended up buying it from my dad, drove it for a few years and traded it in on a '77 Pinto. Yeah, boring. It sure was, going from that Merc with the 400/4bbl to that 2300cc 4 cylinder Pinto that could fit in the Merc's trunk. Drove that Pinto all thru college. But I learned that if I'd floor it and dump the clutch I'd tear teeth off of the ring gear. I did that twice. Maybe because I'm a slow learner. But I did get good at pulling rear ends out of Pintos and Mustang IIs at the junkyard.

Too many cars to count since then.

My first was a 1951 Rambler convertible which I couldn't drive legally for 6 months. Unfortunately, I left for the USNA 3 months later and it mostly sat for four years. Upon graduation I had a series of Corvettes, MG's, Porsche's, and Lotuses, all convertibles and most raced. Since then I have had many, many cars, mostly sports cars and mostly convertibles right up to my current BMW Z4 M40i. I usually have had a daily driver, currently an electric.

My first was a '41 Buick Roadmaster, straight-8. Came stock with two 2-barrel carbs, progressive linkage, three-on-the-tree. Because the hood raised from either side, it was easy to just lift it off and that's the way I often ran it. It had been my grandmother's car, which my uncle gave me a few years after she died. I was 13 at the time.
    I was fortunate to have a few other cars through college, including a '57 Ford Skyliner and a '64 Dodge Polara 383, 4-speed which was a high school graduation present.
    The first one I bought myself was a '69 Pontiac Grand Prix I bought as I was starting my first job after college. It's a long list since then!

Default You want slow & ugly?

Cant touch this. First car: 61 ford falcon with a mind-blowing 90 hp 144 cu.in. engine capable of 0-60 in 15 minutes. I beat that p.o.s. like a rented mule and couldnt kill it. I had a push rod making dimples on the inside of the valve cover finally decided to turn it in for junk. Had a rot hole on the back floor that was big enough to lower down a six pack of cans if we got pulled over. "No sir, no beer in here officer." Peel back the carpet, grab the beer and we were off.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." Clemenza, The Godfather
    "I like a man who grins when he fights" Winston Churchill

1st car driven was a 60 Chevrolet Impala 6 cylinder 3 speed my grandfather had and when he would stop by my dads Pure station he would let me drive it around the lot…..I probably put a couple thousand miles on it in that small corner lot….One day I got brave and took it around the block and when I pulled back in the lot he was standing there, hands on hips…..He gave me the stink eye and then winked and told me to park it for that day…..He was a cool guy and passed away a few years later and I miss him very much along with driving that old black Impala….

1st car I bought for myself was a 1 year used 73 Chevelle SS…..It was a nice car with swivel bucket seats and factory am/fm 8 track….It had a 350 with a 4 barrel but was a real smog dog, 185 factory HP on a good day so I removed the smog crap, put on an Edelbrock aluminum intake and a Holley 4 barrel which was too much carb for that motor but it said Holley so I didn’t care and the best improvement was putting in 3:73 rear gears which made it pretty quick in the quarter…..I sold it and bought a 77 Silverado 1/2 ton short bed pickup with bucket seats which was a very nice top of the line truck back then and I paid $4700.00 for it brand new…..I drove it until the kids came along then it was a series of mini vans…..

Last year about this time I was able to buy the only real hot rod I’ve ever owned, a 70 Chevelle SS which was originally a 454 car but currently has a GM crate 383 stroker with 700R4 automatic……It’s fun and plenty fast for this old man and I get lots of thumbs up from the other gear heads out there when I go by……

This song was playing on the radio the night I brought her home and this video never gets old to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMZO6G7qFN0
    Last edited by getsome; 01-07-2022 at 12:48 PM.

The only other relatively quick car I've owned was a 455 cu. in. 73 Olds 442..........I loved that car. Not the fastest bird out there but swivel leather seats, and all the bells and whistles of the day. I did own an interesting Buick Riviera that did everything but wash itself. Had a screen in the dash before screens were around. I used to freak people out at the grocery store. I'd put my stuff in the trunk and while I was taking back the cart, the car would automatically level itself out. It had heated seats that would also vibrate, power headrests, and the front of the seat would power extend out underneath your legs to take all of the tension out of them on long trips. I still think that there were a few options that I missed because there were so many.

First car I owned was just like this one.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/