Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Cars??....................

My first car was an 82 Mazda 626. My first car that I enjoyed was actually my third.. an 84 mustang gt, all black with louvers and super spoke wheels from 88.

Mine was a 1949 Oldsmobile 76(6 cylinder automatic) Dad and Mom bought it for me in1958…….my third year in college…bought it off a used car lot in Enid,Oklahoma. It smoked like a steam locomotive. Dad paid $150 for it.
    "No Matter Where You Go----There You Are !!"

Wow, first car was a red 65 Mustang convertible. Bought for 450.00 with a brand new white top installed. A year later a girl hit me from behind while waiting to turn left into the school parking lot. Totalled the Mustang and the VW in front of me. Second car was a 69 Camaro with a 350, Muncie 4 speed with a factory Hurst shifter and a posi rear end. Man that car would fly. Paid 1100.00 for it and sold it for the same my Junior year in college. Had to pay tuition and for food. Sure miss those cars.

I guess I was fortunate in the fact that I started working at a Dodge dealership at 16 when I got my license. I got to drive all the hot 1970 Dodge's on the lot. I had the envy of my friends. Then worked at an American Motors/Jeep dealership. Drove all of their offerings, Gremlins, Matadors, Rebels, Pacers, and got introduced to Jeeps. Moved on to an import dealership, and drove Fiats, Lancia's, Alfa Romeo's, and the occasional Citroen, Maserati, Bricklin, Datsun, Triumph, Porsche, Opel GT, Jaguar, many others. Then I worked for a Lincoln Mercury dealership. Drove all of the Lincoln Town Car boats. Bill Blass, Cartier, some nicer cars like the Mercury Cougar Eliminator, Mercury Cyclone, future State Patrol and Police cars. At one point, they had my dream car on the lot. A used 1970 Buick GS Stage 1 in a brown metallic. At that time, I had mothballs in my pockets so all I could do is dream about owning a car like that but I did get to drive it on a couple of occasions. At 2 of the places I worked at, we stayed late many a night, sometimes working on our own cars, which of course were always in tip top shape and clean as a whistle. It was one of the perks of the job. At one point, when I was between vehicles, I used a 1978 Corvette Indy Pace Car for a few days. When I worked at the import dealer, I took different cars home all the time. Plus, I had friends who had nice cars also. GTO's, Chevelle's, Super Bee's, Cuda's. It was a simpler world back then, and a lot of fun............................................... .....

Wow, I was watching some of the Mecum auto auctions on Motor Trend TV today and they sold an 83 Corvette Indy Pace Car edition for $148.000 bucks……Working at a dealership is an interesting job…..My first real job after high school was at Jim Letts Oldsmobile in Buckhead Ga as a parts driver/general flunkie but it was a fun job……..The lead salesman was Calvin Chatham AKA Cal Cheatum, we had pet names for the other salesmen but I couldn’t print them here without being kicked off the forum…….The owner Jim Letts senior was a really nice guy but his son Jim Jr was a total idiot nerd…..Daddy Jim gave him a brand new Cutlass 442 W40 which lasted less than a week before junior wrecked it…….The lead body shop guy loved it, he called Jim Jr. job security……….

I watched some of that.....................saw a 69 Vette L88, only 116 made, went for $305,000. Also saw a mint 96 Cutlass with the 301 V8 with 40,000 mi. go for $7500. The wife and I talk about it, if the timing is right, we may go down when Mecum is in Chicago and purchase a car....................walking around there would be heaven...................

The wifey was asking me about some of my early car days. I told her when I worked at the import dealership, I made $9.50 an hour. I did a little motor work but mostly tires, exhaust, brake jobs, and rustproofing. Rustproofing was an easy sell for them back then. I got $60 per car for doing them. The dealership charged $350 to the customer. They wanted me to do them fast, but I told them that when a customer is paying that much for an automobile, my conscience wouldn't allow me to do anything but a good job. I heard many a customer telling a salesperson that their car had been dripping for 2 weeks. 😄 Back then, we drilled holes so we could get the gunk everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Took an hour just to clean the side windows. Got inside frame rails, hood and trunk frames, rocker panels. Drilled a few small drain holes in specific places. Removed wheel well plastic liners and sprayed underneath and in the engine compartment. It was a real racket and moneymaker especially in my state where European metal lasts about a year before it starts rusting. The stuff really never dried. It stayed kind of tacky and collected rocks and road dust. That was probably the protectant. The dealership got $80 an hour for Alfa Romeo work, and $60 an hour for Fiat, and Lancia, and American work. Mostly doctor and lawyer owners. We would go to their home or place of business and pick up their car, take it back and do the work, and deliver it back, spotless. I really liked a few of the Fiat models. The X19 was a little midengine that was a hoot to drive. Felt and handled like a go cart. The Brava was kind of a family car but handled like a dream. The Spider was a little screamer. Drove one with dual carbs. Those little 4 cylinder engines didn't even start working until 6000 rpm. They would really wind up and you never had to worry about down shifting when you were at higher speeds. Going from 5000 rpm to 9000 rpm was a piece of cake. Never even come close to hurting an engine by over revving. They were kind of putting the American cars to shame back then as far as handling and engines. If they could/would have used American steel, they would have been great cars. I remember one of the salesmen telling me how he sold Alfa Romeo's. He just took them for a test drive. He would do a power slide at 50 mi. an hour and turn the car in the opposite direction just like you see on tv. He said they would buy every time after they changed their pants.

We may need some of that rustproofing stuff down here in Atlanta this weekend……It doesn’t snow here often but when it does it causes a huge mess…..Back in 2014 we had what is locally known as “Snowmageddon” which was a snow/ice event that started on a week day at 1:00 pm or so and when everyone hit the road at 5:00 pm to go home they got stuck in the ice and couldn’t move, children spent the night stuck on school busses, cars started running out of gas, it really was pretty bad…….The Governor looked bad and fired the D.O.T. Boss because they weren’t prepared for it…….Well since then the state went nuts and bought millions of dollars worth of snow removal equipment and salt brine spray tankers so now if they forecast even a slight possibility of snow they go crazy and lay down millions of gallons of salt brine mix and the interstate and bridges will be white like the beach with salt dust blowing everywhere for days…..They are calling for a possible 1/2 inch of snow Sunday afternoon so the D.O.T. is already loading up the brine tankers to start the salt storm Saturday at midnight…….No wonder you northern folks laugh at us……..

I only laugh when you "southerners" have problems with just a little snow. Nobody can handle that ice/rain/snow mixture, not even up here. It takes down power lines, trees, sometimes roofs. Luckily in my area, the lines are underground. We have the road brine mix up here in larger cities but by me we're lucky to get a salt sand mix, mostly sand....................so far this year with all of the snows we've had, we're at about 18". Pretty mild winter so far..........................

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    We may need some of that rustproofing stuff down here in Atlanta this weekend……It doesn’t snow here often but when it does it causes a huge mess…..Back in 2014 we had what is locally known as “Snowmageddon” which was a snow/ice event that started on a week day at 1:00 pm or so and when everyone hit the road at 5:00 pm to go home they got stuck in the ice and couldn’t move, children spent the night stuck on school busses, cars started running out of gas, it really was pretty bad…….The Governor looked bad and fired the D.O.T. Boss because they weren’t prepared for it…….Well since then the state went nuts and bought millions of dollars worth of snow removal equipment and salt brine spray tankers so now if they forecast even a slight possibility of snow they go crazy and lay down millions of gallons of salt brine mix and the interstate and bridges will be white like the beach with salt dust blowing everywhere for days…..They are calling for a possible 1/2 inch of snow Sunday afternoon so the D.O.T. is already loading up the brine tankers to start the salt storm Saturday at midnight…….No wonder you northern folks laugh at us……..
    Don’t forget to run out and get your milk, bread and eggs.
    It’s a French toast emergency.