Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: First Cars??....................

That’s so funny because by noon Saturday the grocery stores here will be picked clean of everything not nailed down like we are going to be buried for two weeks and starvation is imminent….…..We might lose power for a couple days because we don’t have buried utility phone and power lines for some stupid reason but we do have lots of very tall pine trees that don’t do well at all in ice storms which is mostly what we get when bad winter weather happens so I’ll go early Saturday and get milk, bread, eggs and a couple pounds of bacon and then on the way home stop at the liquor store and pick up a half gallon of Jim Beam and all should be well with my world whatever Mother Nature decides to do……….

beretta you brought up a long lost memory. An x19 was my 2nd car. Guy had it sitting in his yard with grass growing all around it. I think I gave $200 for it. It had a rotted out fuel line. Replaced it and the battery and drove it around town at age 16-17ish. Never got it titled, tagged (he gave me his old tag) or insured. Forget what I did with it, but think I got a small profit when I sold it. Yes, it was a little road hugger and if you hit a certain dip on a certain road, you could get it to launch so that all 4 wheels would come about 6” off the ground. Not sure what all the sparks were coming from on landing, but me and my buddies would take turns, seeing who could get the wheels the highest/generate the most sparks. Almost forgot about that. Good, crazy times.

I used to lust after the X1/9. Very cool looking car for its day.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    beretta you brought up a long lost memory. An x19 was my 2nd car. Guy had it sitting in his yard with grass growing all around it. I think I gave $200 for it. It had a rotted out fuel line. Replaced it and the battery and drove it around town at age 16-17ish. Never got it titled, tagged (he gave me his old tag) or insured. Forget what I did with it, but think I got a small profit when I sold it. Yes, it was a little road hugger and if you hit a certain dip on a certain road, you could get it to launch so that all 4 wheels would come about 6” off the ground. Not sure what all the sparks were coming from on landing, but me and my buddies would take turns, seeing who could get the wheels the highest/generate the most sparks. Almost forgot about that. Good, crazy times.
    Your X19 was our 60 Chevy Biscayne. We bought it from a neighbor for $25. It had a 6 banger with a 3 on the tree. We used to take it to this bar where we could get in under age. It was on a lake with a very steep driveway about 200 ft. long. We used to let it roll back from the top and right before we hit the water, we would rev the heck out of it and let the clutch fly. Tire burn forever. We went through lots of tires. The drive was black from all of the rubber we put down. We eventually tired of the car and we actually tried to blow it up by holding the gas pedal down forever. Never could blow it up, so we sold it back to the guy we got it from for $10. Last I saw of it, it was still running. Don't even get me going about what we did with motorcycles............

I learned to drive in my dad's 1960 something Plymouth Belvidere and my brother's 1970 Datsun 240Z. My first owned car was my college graduation present, a powder blue 1974 Ford Pinto. A very practical vehicle. The first car I actually bought was a fairly rare Toyota Corona Mark III which was a wonderful in-line six, comfy, compact jewel. Turned me on to Toyota quality and I've not looked back. Over that 46 year span I've owned nine Toyotas. Never left me stranded, never broke, always started, low maintenance and good values. I keep my cars a long time and my Toys have proven to be as reliable as a brand can be. Currently have a nice Avalon and a "grand-kid mobile" Sienna van.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Was watching the Mecum Auction on the Motor Trend channel today and they just sold a 1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS-6 4 speed nicely restored car for $157,500 smackers………I bought my 70 Chevelle SS last year for 20 grand which I’m still reminded of every moment of my life by SHMBO but I don’t care, it’s an investment……My car has had several engine / transmission changes over it’s life and isn’t numbers matching but is a daily driver but I think I got a smoking deal after watching what 60’s and 70’s muscle cars are bringing in this auction…….The TV announcer said that in 1970 a fully optioned out Chevelle SS sold for a little over $4000.00 and people were having a problem when car prices climbed over 4K and sales fell off……The LS-6 454 engine option was a whopping $263 dollars…….

Some surprises from yesterday was when one seller brought out 3 early 90’s very nice ZR-1 Corvettes with the radical all aluminum double overhead cam V8 engines which back in the day was a $15,000 option….At auction was the original prototype #1 car which only sold for $52,000 and the other two cars for sale one was a 92 ZR-1 with 27, yes 27 original miles that sold for $49,000 and another with 7000 miles went for $48,000….I would have thought the #1 prototype car would have brought a million…….Who’d a thunk it……

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post

Some surprises from yesterday was when one seller brought out 3 early 90’s very nice ZR-1 Corvettes with the radical all aluminum double overhead cam V8 engines which back in the day was a $15,000 option….At auction was the original prototype #1 car which only sold for $52,000 and the other two cars for sale one was a 92 ZR-1 with 27, yes 27 original miles that sold for $49,000 and another with 7000 miles went for $48,000….I would have thought the #1 prototype car would have brought a million…….Who’d a thunk it……
    Six or eight months ago those 90's ZR-1's were selling for under 22K on Mecum's, some in the mid-teens. I knew that they were unique cars and would eventually go up. I think they're worth the 50K, but I wouldn't want to have to repair one.

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    Was watching the Mecum Auction on the Motor Trend channel today and they just sold a 1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS-6 4 speed nicely restored car for $157,500 smackersÂ…Â…Â…I bought my 70 Chevelle SS last year for 20 grand which IÂ’m still reminded of every moment of my life by SHMBO but I donÂ’t care, itÂ’s an investmentÂ…Â…My car has had several engine / transmission changes over itÂ’s life and isnÂ’t numbers matching but is a daily driver but I think I got a smoking deal after watching what 60Â’s and 70Â’s muscle cars are bringing in this auctionÂ…Â….The TV announcer said that in 1970 a fully optioned out Chevelle SS sold for a little over $4000.00 and people were having a problem when car prices climbed over 4K and sales fell offÂ…Â…The LS-6 454 engine option was a whopping $263 dollarsÂ…Â….

Some surprises from yesterday was when one seller brought out 3 early 90Â’s very nice ZR-1 Corvettes with the radical all aluminum double overhead cam V8 engines which back in the day was a $15,000 optionÂ….At auction was the original prototype #1 car which only sold for $52,000 and the other two cars for sale one was a 92 ZR-1 with 27, yes 27 original miles that sold for $49,000 and another with 7000 miles went for $48,000Â….I would have thought the #1 prototype car would have brought a millionÂ…Â….WhoÂ’d a thunk itÂ…Â…
    I was watching when they were selling all of those LS-6's in a row. Crazy............there are plenty of people out there looking for "daily drivers" to restore. I have seen a few nice resto mods but I really prefer things be left stock the way they were. I watched an auction a few years back......a guy had 3 GTO Judges in 3 different colors, 2 with the 400 cu. in. Ram Air engines, and 1 with the 455 cu. in. engine. They sold in about the same price range as the Chevelle's.