Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I finally came clean to my wife...

Default I finally came clean to my wife...

about how all those firearms showed up in the gun safe (before the avalanche took them all a few years back.) I worked at Cabela's for a few years before moving up to CO. Cabela's would let you put firearms on layaway back then, not sure if they now. So I'd put one on layaway and put down some random amount over the next few months every week or two, such as $49.30 or $95. 93. She never questioned the money I spent in the store, as I was always bringing something home.

Ended up doing this a number of times while I worked there and probably brought home over 20 firearms in all. She did know about 4 or 5 that I told her about upfront. I had them hidden all over the house as I didn't have the gun safe yet. When I did get the gun safe it went straight into a storage locker as we were getting ready to move in about a month or so.

It was quite a trick to load up all of the firearms into the moving truck (which we rented and I drove) without her questioning me. I did have about 10 firearms before working at Cabela's and she did ask me once while loading that she thought I had already loaded them. I just told her I had to take them out to fit something else in. They were all in hard cases so she never knew what was in the cases. Same thing once we got set up in the new house.

The guilt had been killing me for years (kinda) as she had noticed one or two that she was sure she had never seen before. I would just tell her that I've had that one for a number of year, not really a lie most of the time. So when I finally came clean I expected my dear sweet wife to rip my head off. She just rolled her eyes a bit and basically said nothing. I think she figured that enough time has passed that there was no sense in getting mad.

I'm pretty sure she still loves me after my confession. I have woken up every morning since telling her still breathing and no new holes in my body. I think she's a keeper after being married for over 30 years now. I don't have the energy now a days to even think of starting over and training a new wife.

How many purses or shoes does she have that you don’t know about?
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

statute of limitations should apply

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Bert you were doing fine with the gun purchase thing and your wife is a keeper but you must know that they know everything we do somehow, I don’t understand it but they just know, it’s weird, I guess it’s some kind of internet spy thing but since she hasn’t killed you yet because of the gun purchase addiction thing you should count your lucky stars and would have been fine until you mentioned the cabbage fart deal on the other thread……..Now she knows and you might want to think about sleeping in the spare bedroom for a while with a .38 under the pillow……..Just a friendly suggestion from a fellow who has been there……

It seems that we're both lucky men, as my wifey has been flexible with my firearm's purchases over the years. My wifey was so far away from the gun world when we met, that I thought that it could be a long winding road for me as far as firearms were concerned. I slowly got her to become more involved and now she's been carrying for quite some time now. I'm proud of her accomplishments. You should be very happy in how things turned out. Being married for over 30 years is becoming a rarity these days. Your wifey sounds like an understanding woman indeed. Sometimes I regret introducing my wifey to firearms. Her favorite saying has always been since we met, " You've got to sleep sometime." You could/should have used the " they're investments " line. You purchase a firearm. You wait until a Democrat wins the presidency. Firearm prices skyrocket. You sell at a huge profit. Wifey gets a new something.................

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Now that can be a loaded question to ask the wife. A few years ago when I had 40+ something handguns the topic came up about out how many I had. I asked her how many pairs of shoes she had (I knew it must have been close to or more than what I had in handguns) and I was told that it was irrelevant because the shoes generally cost less than each handgun which is true.

Funny thing is I know where all my pistols are as most are in the safe but darned if I can figure out where all those shoes are because I know she keeps them in the box. Must be a hidden room in this house I don’t know about. I wonder if there is any money hidden in that room too?
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Honesty is USUALLY the best policy, especially with your spouse and partner. I usually tell my wife that I'm buying or bought something.

I keep thinking about one of those LCP Max's, though I have my 12-year old P380. The night sights still shine, but they're getting old! And... it only holds 6+1 or 7+1.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    To be honest, I have more shoes than she does. By shoes I mean boots. I have a pair of boots for every hunting situation with backup pairs for the first line boots. I have boots for working, moving snow, wet weather, dry hot weather. You name it and I've got it. The only other shoes I have are a pair of sneakers, a pair of dress shoes and my golfing shoes. I haven't worn the sneakers or dress shoes for years. My running days are over and I have some slick looking dress cowboy boots for the fancy occasions.

I think she has about 3-4 purses. She'll use one for a year or so then switch to another one.

You should have been buying her nice little baubles from the jewelry counter each time a new gun “appeared”.
    That has kept the peace in my house for almost 55 years. (My wife hates guns, but tolerates my accumulating).
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I have bought her jewelry from around the world when I was in the Navy, even some custom made stuff. When I was in Hong Kong one time I searched around and finally find the right place to get her a pearl necklace that I picked out each and every pearl that it was made from. I've bought her a '67 Mustang, a '80 Corvette and a '98 Camaro SS. She has done very well over the years.

She knows I was brought up around firearms from a young age and knew I did a lot of shooting of various firearms while in the Navy. She also knew I had a few before we got married and had no problems with that. She's never been against me having firearms, just spending money on them. I just found a very easy way to get them without her knowing and the folks that worked the gun counter thought the way I went about it was pure genius. I even had a few ask me to explain my "scheme" in more detail...lol

She has "allowed" me to purchase a few over the years to include my Tommy gun, a couple of 1911's and a few hunting rifles. Also, some for the grandbabies. I also bought her a Beretta .32 ACP that grew up into a Sig P238. She also has a 20 guage and a .243 that were my mom's.

As for the cabbage farts, there is no way she could ever deny it. I just tell her every time she eats cabbage she has to sleep on the couch and the dog gets to take her place in the bed. All joking, of course, as we have been together long enough to be able to kid each other about such things. The dog isn't allowed on the couch let alone the bed.