CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for OWB K40

Default Suggestions for OWB K40

Never carried. Any suggestions appreciated.

No one can give you an honest opinion without some background. Leather or kydex? Open toe or closed? Belt or no belt? Guard or no guard? Many unanswered questions. Maybe stop by and introduce yourself........................

I think I will go to the local gun shop. They have a good selection of holsters. I got stuck looking online. Thanks berettabone.

The most important part of any holster combination is the belt. A good solid gun belt makes things work so much better.

I like Garrett's leather lined kydex very much but I have no experience with their OWB holsters, I use their IWB almost exclusively.
    I'm fond of Mernickle for leather OWB but I see they have changed ownership and moved to Texas which of course isn't a bad thing. Web site looks like they are still making the same patterns.

There's just a multitude of options now days and we all have drawers or boxes of holsters that looked like the answer but alas just didn't work out.

Start with a good belt.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I would agree with that!!!! Many people like leather gun belts. They can be worn with jeans or a suit, if that kind of thing is important. They last for a long time, very durable. Most important of all, they look good with a leather holster. For me on the other hand, I never cared much for leather belts. I've been using a Wilderness 5 Stitch belt forever. Made of nylon type material, a bit more flexible than leather, a bit lighter in weight, and adjustable without having those foolish holes punched in your belt, that are always just a half size off, depending on what you ate that day and how much. Depending on the situation, I use kydex from Cook's, I use the small slide type leather holsters, Don Hume and High Noon leather, and about 60% of the time, a Remora. All of the holsters that I use, less the Remora are the very minimal types in design. I use every holster that I own and don't have any in a drawer with others. I took my time and plenty of research before purchasing the one's I use. There is nothing wrong with doing research online. So many makers out there.............I've had more trouble finding a good belt than a holster...............................

Quote Originally Posted by craigster View Post
    Never carried. Any suggestions appreciated.
    I CC my K9 in a lined, Mitch Rosen 5JR Thumb Break OWB holster. Very nice holster. Works very well (for me). Very concealing. Very comfortable. Very easy to draw from. (I am left-handed and carry at 9:00.) Handsome holster. ETA: This MR is pictured in my avatar.

I also have a Kramer Horsehide Belt Scabbard OWB holster for my K9. It, also, is a very nice holster. Being horsehide, and unlined, it is thinner than the MR. I believe I would prefer this holster to the MR--if it had a thumb break. I am seriously thinking about purchasing a TB version.

I think that the K40 version of either of these two OWB holsters will work well for you.

rx7sig

I wore a Wilderness 5 stitch for many years working. Great belt and while somewhat flexible it was still rigid enough to support the gear, holster, mag pouch knife sheath etc. Not sure where it went, I know it wasn't near wore out, they wear like iron.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I got the Mitch Rosen OWB off the Kahr site and it’s been really good.

I have a Galco Fletch that I REALLY like for my K9 (thumbreak). I also have a Kramer Vertical Scabbard in Horeshide for my CW45 that I like (no thumbreak). Of the two, I would suggest the Galco for first time carriers because it's less expensive and usually ships in a week. It also sits more snug to the body (handle angled more toward the body). If they made one for my CW45 I'd grab one in a heartbeat since that's my #1 carry. I also have a Kramer Belt Scabbard in Horsehide for my 66 which I like (no thumbreak). I like the horsehide's durability and rigidity, but the expense and wait time isn't conducive to experimenting with different configurations while figuring out what your prefer. IMO, the horsehide offers a little of the friction fit of the cowhide, while also offering a little bit of the Kydex "click" around the trigger gaurd because of it's rigidity... sort of in between the cowhide and Kydex feel of retention.

I have the Mitch Rosen IWB from the Kahr website, but I prefer a tuckable clip for my way of dress. I'm not 100% secure with the retention, as my previous job was labor intensive.

For the record, I tried a Desantis OWB (Speed Scabbard IIRC) that I wasn't confident with the retention. My most carried holster is a Vedder LightTuck (CW45) with a claw, added wedge, and modified belt clip for AIWB.

If you like minimal holsters, I use a Don Hume Jit for my SP101. Very minimal, holds very high and tight to the body. Allows for a full purchase on your firearm. Ships fast and is relatively cheap.........