Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM9 Covert vs P9 Recoil Impulse

Default PM9 Covert vs P9 Recoil Impulse

I am wanting to get a hands on opinion on the felt recoil and "snapiness" of a PM9 Covert vs the P9 and PM9\CM9.

Does the full grip of the CM9 Covert negate some of the snappiness and felt recoil with a longer grip?

I am looking for something bigger than my cm9, which is not comfortable to shoot alot I find due to its snappiness and recoil impulse due to its small size. Would prefer a Kahr as they are slimmer than the competition .

I've never owned or shot a Covert, however I've owned and shot my PM9 for a very long time. Because felt recoil is very subjective it would be hard for anyone to answer your question in such a way as to guarantee that their experience would be exactly as your own would be. Especially given that there is only and ounce or two difference between the PM/CM and the Covert. What you might want to also consider though is the possibility of moving to a K9 or MK9. Being heavier it is more likely that either would be less snappy than the CM9 you've been shooting, or the Covert. The extra 1/2" of grip length of the Covert is probably not enough to make a noticeable difference in felt recoil over the CM/PM.

Like dao..I have no experience with the Covert so I can't comment on that option. I do however have nearly 10 years experience with my CM9. I'm pleased to offer a coupla things I've done with mine that you might find helpful.
    1.) Added Pearce magazine baseplate. It doesn't add much size and doesn't affect concealment (for me) but definitely helps control and scores.
    2.) Build up the grip to better "fill the hand". There are a lot of ways to accomplish this. In my case...(and because I don't care how it looks)...I wrapped the grip with Home Depot Friction Tape until I liked it. Obviously, that will be different for each individual. Again...helps control and scores over the unmodified grip.

Default PM9 Covert vs P9 Recoil Impulse

Pachmayr makes a mag sleeve for the Kahr 7 round mag that will essentially convert your CM9 to a CM9 covert.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017709811

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

while I din't have a "covert", I do carry and compete with a CM9 with 7rd. mags. I've cant say that snappiness has ever been a issue. I use a grip sleeve with a finger groove and slipped rubber fender washers between the grip and the sleeve to form a palm swell about 1/16" on each side of the grip.strange as this may be, it doesn't inhibit pocket carry and seems to lessen (for me) the recoil pulse . my 7rd. mags all came with the Kahr black base plate that leaves less then 1/8 " gap between the bottom of the grip and the top of the base plate when mag is inserted .

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELIEVER

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bugs View Post
    while I din't have a "covert", I do carry and compete with a CM9 with 7rd. mags. I've cant say that snappiness has ever been a issue. I use a grip sleeve with a finger groove and slipped rubber fender washers between the grip and the sleeve to form a palm swell about 1/16" on each side of the grip.strange as this may be, it doesn't inhibit pocket carry and seems to lessen (for me) the recoil pulse . my 7rd. mags all came with the Kahr black base plate that leaves less then 1/8 " gap between the bottom of the grip and the top of the base plate when mag is inserted .

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELIEVER
    Good idea! Kind of like breast implants....for guns

Having both steel frame and polymer versions (but no Covert), I'd say the best wat to reduce felt recoil is to simply go with a steel version. If you're used to the trigger, it's hard to beat the K9 for shootability....well, except for the T9.

Quote Originally Posted by bugs View Post

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELIEVER
    what bugs is talking about works well.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

maybe I'll call it my "CM-vert" ! true confession time: you know that that small hole in the bottom of the grip? I filled it w/ #71/2 lead, sealed with rubber plug from leftover rubber fender washer. idle mind is the devils' workshop I guess.

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELIEVER

^^^Like