Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MK9 vs MK40

Quote Originally Posted by pk1313 View Post
    O'Dell - you DO NOT get the big stuffed animal at the carnival - I still see some of the orange on the bullseye !!!! The shooting gallery was always one of my favorite games at the carnival - I don't think I ever once won - LOL
    I suppose I should have shot another couple of mags since I evidently had the range. I was shooting at my normal 12 yard distance.

Nobody ever wins at the Carnival, I think they remotely control the barrels and when you get close they flip the switch so you can't hit a barn door. Lord knows I tried. That was my favorite thing too and I never won neither.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by O'Dell View Post
    I suppose I should have shot another couple of mags since I evidently had the range. I was shooting at my normal 12 yard distance.
    That's some mighty fine shooting for 12 yards. You got talent.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

He sure does! I can barely do that with a 1911 anymore. A double action? Forget about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gun1 View Post
    I'm considering buying a Kahr MK. However, I really can't decide if I should go with the 40 or the 9. Also, none of the LGS here have any and you can't really appreciate the difference by looking at the website. Does anyone have any photos showing the difference between the matte finish and the polished finish? Also, between the regular sights and the night sights?
    I also see that the 40 is about .04" thicker than the 9, is this noticeable?
    Also, someone on here posted that they has spoken to Kahr CS a couple years ago and confirmed that the .40S&W would be discontinued by Kahr. Is this true?
    I have photos. Tomorrow. Matte finish MK40 vs DLC black MK9. I don’t have a glossy MK. However, BirdsTheWord is the guy to show you how a little elbow grease can make your MK shine.

I own both. An MK9 with stainless frame and DLC black slide, and an MK40 with stainless frame and stainless slide. Both have Lakeline G10 grips.

After owning both, my recommendation is to buy whichever MK caliber you find first, that fits in your budget. I waited for years, and found my MK9 dual color for $500. I was a happy man. Prior to that, I passed on a used MK40 for $379, and regretted it. Then, four years later, I found my MK40 (brand new) for $299. (It was $699, then $649 when it didn’t sell, then $599, then $549 when it didn’t sell, then the Range/GS sent it to their “sister range” to sell at $399. It sat at $399 for 3 months. Then, they marked it down to $349. I had been watching it for a while. One night, 30 minutes before closing time, I finished shooting and told the sales guy that “If you really wanted to sell the MK40, you woulda priced it at $299. As a matter of fact, if you can get it to $299, that falls into my “no justification/no excuses needed” price range. 5 minutes later, his boss dropped the price to $299. I was a really happy man. (I forgot to mention it has Meprolight Night Sights.). I love it. Don’t worry about the recoil. If you bought/buy it, you’ll love it. If not, someone will buy it from you. Not many things are worth the same amount tomorrow after buying them today. An MK40/MK9 bought for a good price is one of them.

Bottom line is “If you can find one for a good price, or in your budget, buy it.”

If you end up hating it, post it For Sale on KahrTalk and someone will buy it from you.

-Wlf

Err, thanks guys. Now I'm blushing. This was my second most accurate Kahr, a CW40. Unfortunately I sold this pistol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by O'Dell View Post
    That's not necessarily true. I have had eight Kahrs and currently have a PM9, CM45, CW45, and a MK40N. The MK40 is my favorite and most accurate, for me, of all. My CW40 was the second most accurate. It's the weight of the all steel MK40N- the PM9 has more felt recoil to me than the MK40, but the MK40 is 50% heavier.
    Nice shooting.
    Now compare that with the MK9. Surely some people won't care, but there is a difference most will notice. I find the MK models to shoot just about as well as the K's, and the K's better than any of the plastics.

But yeah, today it may be a case of buying whichever becomes available first.

Renton, WA, (King County) 25 miles from Seattle

I'm considering buying a Kahr MK. However, I really can't decide if I should go with the 40 or the 9. Also, none of the LGS here have any and you can't really appreciate the difference by looking at the website. Does anyone have any photos showing the difference between the matte finish and the polished finish? Also, between the regular sights and the night sights?
    I also see that the 40 is about .04" thicker than the 9, is this noticeable?
    Also, someone on here posted that they has spoken to Kahr CS a couple years ago and confirmed that the .40S&W would be discontinued by Kahr. Is this true?
    Many months later, which way did you go? 9mm or 40S&W??
    And yes, it's well known that Kahr has dropped guns in 40S&W. As far as the snappy recoil of the 40 goes, yes, it's true because the round is a heavy bullet being launched by high pressure gases. No one seems to complain about the same weight bullet (180 grains vs. 185 grains) in a low pressure 45ACP round. My solution as a reloader is to charge the 40S&W 180 grain bullets at the low end of its range. The felt recoil isn't any different than shooting a 9mm. I consider a downloaded 180 bullet in 40S&W as a 9mm magnum or high powered 45. That makes the MK40 into both a MK45 and/or MK9. I don't own a MK40 at this posting but it's very high on my list if I can find one. I do own a PM9, CW45 and K9 Elite '98.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarpia View Post
    Many months later, which way did you go? 9mm or 40S&W??
    And yes, it's well known that Kahr has dropped guns in 40S&W. As far as the snappy recoil of the 40 goes, yes, it's true because the round is a heavy bullet being launched by high pressure gases. No one seems to complain about the same weight bullet (180 grains vs. 185 grains) in a low pressure 45ACP round. My solution as a reloader is to charge the 40S&W 180 grain bullets at the low end of its range. The felt recoil isn't any different than shooting a 9mm. I consider a downloaded 180 bullet in 40S&W as a 9mm magnum or high powered 45. That makes the MK40 into both a MK45 and/or MK9. I don't own a MK40 at this posting but it's very high on my list if I can find one. I do own a PM9, CW45 and K9 Elite '98.
    I went with the MK9, but only because I was looking for a new gun and the MK40 was already discontinued.

Renton, WA, (King County) 25 miles from Seattle

I went with the MK9, but only because I was looking for a new gun and the MK40 was already discontinued.
    Well, that's that, eh? I buy both new and used. I don't recall having any regrets buying a used gun. My collection is probably half-half new and used. My next gun will be a MK40, hopefully in high polished SS (that I can afford).