Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Magnum Research new
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: Starting A New 1911 Polishing Project

I agree but with one caveat Bird. Older Colts, which weren't rare at the time seem to be bringing a slightly higher premium now. Possible because they're not common as a vintage weapon. My MK IV Officerr was made in '89. It's not as valuable as a Commander or Government model made in the 60's or 70's, even though the MK IV OACP were never as numerous as the Commanders and Governments were. Not to say that my Officer is rare. I'm not sure if cutting into it now would lower or raise it's value, but I think if I leave it to my son and he holds onto it for 30 years it would be worth more then as an original gun. I could be wrong.

The Governments just have no appeal to me. Too much gun for my tastes. Same with a P226 or a P220 in 4.4". Just too much barrel hanging in front of my fist. That's why I stick with Sig Carry models. I'm sure I'd love firing the longer, heavier models but because I'm a relatively poor man I only buy guns that I would possibly carry, to cut down the cost of my "collecting", such as it is.

To answer your question Colonel, I have the Colt OACP in stainless, and also an M1991A1 Commander. But the Commander is blued or parkerized, not sure which. I probably won't touch that one regardless.

Colt OACP was my first 1911. Regret to this day parting with it. At the time everybody talked like they had issues but I never had a problem at all with mine.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Cool DW V-Bob

I've always shot 1911s well.
    But the Wilsons I rented cost more than I was willing to pay.
    Did a lot of research on 1911s looking for that sweet spot of quality and cost.
    Wanted to spend around 1K , but was willing to go a little higher.
    Almost bought a Springfield TRP on several occasions.
    But ran across a Dan Wesson SS V-Bob for $1,500 NIB and jumped.
    It cost a little more than my budget.
    But the No MIM parts, DW reputation and classic looks were just to much for me - LOL!
    They say "Buy Once, Cry Once" and that ended up true for me.

My only grip was that the safety drew blood with sharp edges out of the box!
    DW did come out with an improved safety, but that was still causing some folks issues.
    I read others had the same issue and some took a Dremel to it!
    IMHO $1,500 new gun shouldn't do that.
    I contacted DW customer service and they basically blew me off and would do nothing

Finally I read about one guy that simply had the safety replaced
    with a Wilson Combat Bullet Proof safety and problem solved!
    Had a gunsmith install this -
    https://wilsoncombat.com/thumb-safet...stainless.html
    It fits, works perfectly and matches the stainless on the gun like in came from the factory.
    Shouldn't have had to do that.
    But now it's one of my favorites and a total keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    I agree but with one caveat Bird. Older Colts, which weren't rare at the time seem to be bringing a slightly higher premium now. Possible because they're not common as a vintage weapon. My MK IV Officerr was made in '89. It's not as valuable as a Commander or Government model made in the 60's or 70's, even though the MK IV OACP were never as numerous as the Commanders and Governments were. Not to say that my Officer is rare. I'm not sure if cutting into it now would lower or raise it's value, but I think if I leave it to my son and he holds onto it for 30 years it would be worth more then as an original gun. I could be wrong.

The Governments just have no appeal to me. Too much gun for my tastes. Same with a P226 or a P220 in 4.4". Just too much barrel hanging in front of my fist. That's why I stick with Sig Carry models. I'm sure I'd love firing the longer, heavier models but because I'm a relatively poor man I only buy guns that I would possibly carry, to cut down the cost of my "collecting", such as it is.

To answer your question Colonel, I have the Colt OACP in stainless, and also an M1991A1 Commander. But the Commander is blued or parkerized, not sure which. I probably won't touch that one regardless.
    Man I totally agree. Just like the V10 and CCO were not a big deal, they are becoming more so over time. I would not put yours into the category of what I mentioned earlier, but your average, every day Colt I would. Some think that just any Colt is special, but I disagree. The mentioned Defender as a candidate for multi upgrades that would (again, just in my opinion, which is based on experience) result in a higher value. Your Officer ACP? I think the ONLY thing that could be done to increase it’s value would be to leave it bone stock, but polish it head to toe. That is exactly what I’m doing with the Gold Cup Trophy. I’m hanging fancy grips on it for my viewing pleasure, but when the time comes to let it go, the thin, rubber textured wrap arounds will be hanging from it. I get you man! : )

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    I've always shot 1911s well.
    But the Wilsons I rented cost more than I was willing to pay.
    Did a lot of research on 1911s looking for that sweet spot of quality and cost.
    Wanted to spend around 1K , but was willing to go a little higher.
    Almost bought a Springfield TRP on several occasions.
    But ran across a Dan Wesson SS V-Bob for $1,500 NIB and jumped.
    It cost a little more than my budget.
    But the No MIM parts, DW reputation and classic looks were just to much for me - LOL!
    They say "Buy Once, Cry Once" and that ended up true for me.

My only grip was that the safety drew blood with sharp edges out of the box!
    DW did come out with an improved safety, but that was still causing some folks issues.
    I read others had the same issue and some took a Dremel to it!
    IMHO $1,500 new gun shouldn't do that.
    I contacted DW customer service and they basically blew me off and would do nothing

Finally I read about one guy that simply had the safety replaced
    with a Wilson Combat Bullet Proof safety and problem solved!
    Had a gunsmith install this -
    https://wilsoncombat.com/thumb-safet...stainless.html
    It fits, works perfectly and matches the stainless on the gun like in came from the factory.
    Shouldn't have had to do that.
    But now it's one of my favorites and a total keeper.
    Congrats on your DW. Too bad it was not perfect out of the box. It sounds like you got “that one”, but glad you were able to resolve it with one simple part change. Shouldn’t have to do that (agreed) with any gun, but it’s so nice that you resolved it with 1 part vs the ongoing nightmares I’ve heard others have gone through with other makes models. Sounds like you now have a nice running DW that I’d gladly take off of you if you ever decided to let go

It would have been nice if DW had swapped out the safety for you, given that I've read quite a few reports of that sharp edge of the safety extending down below the beavertail and causing discomfort. And given that you bought it new, all the more reason for them to step up. But, CS can also come down to, "who exactly was it I talked to?" Different call on a different day may have made a large difference. At least though it was an inexpensive fix, and had no impact on reliability. The Valors are still the DW flagship. Congrats on getting a beauty!

Different call on a different day makes the difference with any company in any business. One reason customer service is circling the drain.
    Dan Wesson really improved once CZ took the helm. I looked at a CBob at a gun show, probably held that thing for an hour, it was love at first sight. And only about 750 like new. Didn't have the 750 but I knew I had to have one. Couple years later they suddenly nearly doubled in price which is totally normal when the world finds out I want something.
    I found one in North Carolina like new for about a grand and love it to this day. I think they realized what a really nice near custom pistol they were making but selling it at standard stuff price. Rather than just jack the price of the CBob they changed the name to the VBob and got the price up. Not that much different really. And in case it sounds like I'm whining I'm not, they are worth every penny and if the need comes along, I'll get another one without hesitation.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

JFYI............There is a place called AK Arms Club, if you like nice shiny guns.....................https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1037977775

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    JFYI............There is a place called AK Arms Club, if you like nice shiny guns.....................https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1037977775
    Thanks Beretta! I really don't like shiny guns, but was for some reason attracted to the Sig in that listing! 😁
    I think I've seen a few of their listings. They not only shine 'em up right, but always seem to invest in some exotic/pretty grips on their pieces. Nice find brother!