Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting A New 1911 Polishing Project

Jeep - Now that’s cold! Florida used to be covered with orange groves when I was a kid. Spent many summers picking oranges along side the bussed in migrant workers picking them so we could buy some groceries and pay the rent. We had a few freezes in a few years that wiped out many of the orchards and Florida has never been the same. Still a bunch of groves here, but nothing like there was back then.

DJ - I will get to the wheels and compounds next. You are correct... it is murder on the hands. I think a younger person could get it all done in half the time. I have to do it a while and take breaks. Then the thought of pain makes me take longer breaks until I get back at it. I would love to have some of that whiskey too, but have to keep it to a rare occasion. Anymore it throws me into palpitations and such the next day, having to up the magnesium, potassium, B, D, mineral drops, etc just to feel ok. But when I do drink it MAN does it feel great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    What no 6” or 8” buffing wheel. And the different compounds. You must have Thor like hands. My arthritis is acting up reading your post. I would much rather be on the couch under a throw with the wife or GF drinking 12 year old Canadian whiskey watching IDPA video from last summer.

Best not to drink so much that you forget which one you're cudding with

Bird I'm looking forward to watching your progress. Though I've never owned a high polish gun I'd like to one day. And I'm not too proud to live vicariously through others.

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Best not to drink so much that you forget which one you're cudding with

Bird I'm looking forward to watching your progress. Though I've never owned a high polish gun I'd like to one day. And I'm not too proud to live vicariously through others.
    I missed the “wife or GF” part. Lol! Seeing that now, I think we can both live vicariously through DJK!!!

One side of the frame is done with the #150 grit. Realized I need new stones as I wore grooves, etc in some of them last time. The slide stop/takedown pin hole and mag release holes protrude ever so slightly. Can’t have that, so I want to flatten those areas a wee li el bit. I will keep on sanding and using needle/French files until then.
    .20220205_090144.jpg
    20220205_090437.jpg

A grip bushing was a female dog to get out. Had to use vice grips. I will ream the threads after wire brushing them. Whatever they used (had a clearish/white stuff on threads), it sure held it in there well. After the Colonel’s belt sander discussion, I may get mine up and running sooner rather than later. Sure will help with the slide sides. Going to get a high, kinda high and medium grit belts seeing as how it will be my first time to that rodeo.

Considering this, unless someone has a better suggestion. Has to be cheap because I’m a cheap bastard. Looking at other selections out there, this appears to be a good deal. I may still get some of the smaller diameter, rectangular stones as I don’t always want to hit such a broad area.

B2B22F29-B556-46F0-B1DF-587AF8654B06.jpg

Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead! For that money I'm sure you'll get value from them.

I can’t wait to see how shiny you get your kielbasa! Wait, that sounded dirty.

I’m a sucker for polished guns. I saw a polished stainless 1911 at the store once and just stared at it through the glass case for a while, heart palpitating.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead! For that money I'm sure you'll get value from them.
    Just ordered 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    I can’t wait to see how shiny you get your kielbasa! Wait, that sounded dirty.

I’m a sucker for polished guns. I saw a polished stainless 1911 at the store once and just stared at it through the glass case for a while, heart palpitating.
    Lol! I've seen some real beauties too that had me drooling