CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop

Thread: New Guy from Denver

Default New Guy from Denver

I may buy one so I am here to do research.

The best way to find out about the details of a gun is to pester owners and users with childlike questions, so here I am!

P9 vs. CW9 is my main interest, along with modifications to the trigger pull and sights.

Thanks in advance for holding my hand as I navigate the world of Kahr.

Did somebody say child like? That's where I live, like to stay in conversation with folks at my same intelligence level although most of the time by age 3 they are smarter than me.

The P9 is basically a premium CW9. It has the polygonal barrel, comes with an extra mag, little nicer engraving etc. The CW quite popular amongst the huddled masses has a traditional barrel so shooting lead is ok. Not quite as fancy but very nice and actually preferred by some. Internals exactly the same inside.

I don't know anything about trigger modification nor would I want to do any. The trigger is near sweet as can be as it comes out of the box.

Welcome, glad you found us. Time for my nap. I'm sure one of the adults around here will be along shortly.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I’m still wondering what I’ll be when I grow up, other than old, but I agree Kahr triggers need no modification. There aren’t many guns you can say that about.

The CW9 is a great size, not too big, not too small. You can even get MagGuts kits to stuff another round in the mag.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

I’ll 3rd the CW9. If buying a CW9 the money saved can be put towards a holster, extra mags, etc. In the intended ranges of self defense training, I don’t think you'd ever notice the differences in the barrels rifling. I have had both. I actually like the appearance of the CW9’s slide over the P9’s. Just my opinion though. And yes, the Kahr trigger is fantastic out of the box. A bit long, but so smooth as to not pull you off target with a “wall”, “creep” or “stacking”.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiememphis View Post
    I may buy one so I am here to do research.

The best way to find out about the details of a gun is to pester owners and users with childlike questions, so here I am!

P9 vs. CW9 is my main interest, along with modifications to the trigger pull and sights.

Thanks in advance for holding my hand as I navigate the world of Kahr.
    Also, you can get both night sights and fiber optic sights to fit either.
    https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/pa...r-arms/sights/
    I was putting fiber optic sights on carry guns before, but have been training “instinctive shooting”, so do not care much about them anymore. Dawson Precision provided sights for a Kahr K9 I once had and they may also have a different selection for the P9’s and CW9’s, but I am unsure.
    Welcome to the forum by the way!

Hello eddiememphis, welcome to Kahrtalk, like others have said there is really not much difference between the two pistols except for price…..The P9 has slots cut in the slide for front sights and the CW front sights are mounted with screws but there are night sights available for it…..There is nothing you can do to improve the trigger and both guns are the same internally so no need to mess with it……The accuracy of both guns are the same so there is no real advantage to the P series polygonal rifling in real world shooting and both guns have the same magazines…….The only advantage to the P9 is you can get it with a black DLC slide (diamond like coating) and it comes with an extra magazine and a little more finished looking slide but other than that they are the same gun..…..I carry a PM9 DLC because I like black guns but if you like the two tone look then a CW9 will save you some money up front and will be a fine carry gun…….Again welcome and let us know what you decide to do…..

Naturally it’s going to come down to what’s important to you and your budget.
    Obviously there is a price difference between the value (CW) series and premium (P, P9-2).
    As far mags go, CW ships with 1-7 round, P ships with 2-7 round and 1-8 round, P9-2 ships with 2-7 round.
    Sights, CW- bar dot with pinned polymer front sight, P9 & P9-2 3-dot tritium night sights, front/rear sight dovetail.
    So if your going to need more then one mag and want night sights (dovetail front/rear), that price gap closes quickly.
    There’s also the different barrel (polygonal vs conventional rifling, more intricate machining of slide on premium P and P9-2, and non MIM slide stop in P, MIM in CW and P9-2.
    You also have the option of a blackened slide with P9 (standard o P9-2).
    Also, the CW comes with 1 year warranty, P9 and P9-2 come with limited lifetime warranty, so if there are any add ons that maybe applied to CW that closes the final price gap between pistols, there maybe value to you in considering difference in warranties.
    Hope this helps.
    P.S. Trigger just fine out of box. In my opinion, for what the Kahr pistols were designed for from the ground up, self defense, can’t beat trigger.

I have learned over the years you generally get what you pay for. I would spend the extra up front. Welcome from Minnesota.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

LabTrek did a great summary. The P series upgrades were worth it to me so I just waited till I found a great deal on a P9 and snagged it. Though having nothing to do with functionality I personally found the P series much more attractive to the eye. I don't sell guns I like so the extra couple of hundred dollars was worth it to me. They are both fine guns so just get the one that's right for you. If it's the CW than you are getting a lot of bang for the buck. If you want a P9 just get it and don't fret over the extra cost.

If you’re patient you can find a new P9 at a good price. I bought mine in 2019 for $380 new from Grab a Gun. It came with night sights.

MCarbo makes a spring kit (striker and trigger return) that will lower the pull weight to under 4 lbs. I put it in both my P9 and my CM9. No light strikes in either. I see it as a big improvement but most everyone on this site disagrees with that sentiment.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.