Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone cut a slide..??

Default Anyone cut a slide..??

I'll be 72 next month. My EDC gun is a CM9. Love it. I've been looking at and test firing other EDC options with itty-bitty red dots mounted on them.
    Has anyone had the slide cut on one of the small Kahrs..( CM9 or PM9.) and mounted a red dot on it ?

Before you cut the slide I would suggest trying a few guns with red dots. I tried one and did not like it at all. All my guns either get Trijicon HD sights on XS Big Dots.
    A good gunsmith shop surely can do it for you.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

I agree with the Jeepster. I bought a Canik TP9 Elite. Relatively cheap and came with a Red Dot just to see how I get along with it. We put Red Dots on my old Departments Glocks and I always struggled to find the dot.
    The Canik however just happens to be the right grip angle or something where the dot is easy to find.

I'm not a big Red Dot fan but for us experienced fellas (old) with questionable eyes they are a plus. And officer scores increased considerable.

The slide cut should be fairly easy for a good machinist, just like open heart surgery is easy for a good doctor.
    Not sure there's enough room but I'd opt to keep the iron sights as well as the red dot. Maybe even have a plate made so you can take it off if desired. Not sure there's enough room on a Kahr. Probably not. A co witnessed red dot would be a plus but don't see how that could happen. Would need tall suppressor sights.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I have these on a couple of my Kahr's - they actually have them on Kahr's website. Mepro FT Bullseye , it goes in your back dovetail ( new style only ) - it's "ON" for 12 years - shot with it a few times , very quick for pick up and acquisition - I'm a point and shoot guy and shot IDPA and USPSA - for me it went right to my point of aim. If you want to try it - see if your LGS has the SIG SAS P365 - That's the same sight. It was super accurate on the 3.0" PM9 - more so than traditional sights.

MEPRO.jpg

Rather than cutting your Kahr slide, you could buy this sight and get a gun with it for free... at this price ($249) .

SCCY CPX-2 9mm Pistol with Black Frame/Stainless Slide and Crimson Trace Red Dot | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore (sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com)

I just bought this gun, without the red dot, because it as a DOA trigger and carries 10+1 rounds
    If I could find an FFL near me to accept that red dot gun, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
    just me though,
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    Before you cut the slide I would suggest trying a few guns with red dots. I tried one and did not like it at all. All my guns either get Trijicon HD sights on XS Big Dots.
    A good gunsmith shop surely can do it for you.
    I've been handling and shooting a pretty wide variety of "carry guns w/ red dots". Haven't found a gun that I prefer over my CM9, which is why I've asked about just cutting the gun I already have, and like.

Quote Originally Posted by pk1313 View Post
    I have these on a couple of my Kahr's - they actually have them on Kahr's website. Mepro FT Bullseye , it goes in your back dovetail ( new style only ) - it's "ON" for 12 years - shot with it a few times , very quick for pick up and acquisition - I'm a point and shoot guy and shot IDPA and USPSA - for me it went right to my point of aim. If you want to try it - see if your LGS has the SIG SAS P365 - That's the same sight. It was super accurate on the 3.0" PM9 - more so than traditional sights.

MEPRO.jpg
    I saw the SAS model Sig at Cabelas a while back. Very intriguing until I brought it up to shoot. With my everyday wear "Street glasses" I can't see that sight worth a darn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilos View Post
    Rather than cutting your Kahr slide, you could buy this sight and get a gun with it for free... at this price ($249) .

SCCY CPX-2 9mm Pistol with Black Frame/Stainless Slide and Crimson Trace Red Dot | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore (sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com)

I just bought this gun, without the red dot, because it as a DOA trigger and carries 10+1 rounds
    If I could find an FFL near me to accept that red dot gun, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
    just me though,
    I've seen those advertised...Haven't spoken to anyone, not associated with the company who has fired one very much. In a long lifetime of shooting that started when I was about 6 yrs old...I've only very rarely seen an inexpensive gun that would meet my requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by IDisposable View Post
    Thank you for bringing up Galloway. I have already installed their flat-faced trigger in my CM9 in anticipation of them introducing a short-reset kit. That never came about.
    Their milling service looks like the way to go.
    Addendum:
    Bawanna said: "I agree with the Jeepster. I bought a Canik TP9 Elite. Relatively cheap and came with a Red Dot just to see how I get along with it. We put Red Dots on my old Departments Glocks and I always struggled to find the dot.
    The Canik however just happens to be the right grip angle or something where the dot is easy to find.

I'm not a big Red Dot fan but for us experienced fellas (old) with questionable eyes they are a plus. And officer scores increased considerable."

I've handled a variety of handguns with red dots. There definitely seems to be a variation in how well ( quickly) I "pick up" the dot from one gun to another.
    I'm told that phenomenon fades with training and practice.
    As far as red dots in general...as my eyes "aged" iron sights became less viable. I added red dots to hunting handguns, and my Dangerous Game rifle, a .458 Win Mag bolt action that I've taken Cape Buffalo and Elephant with. In those applications they have been a real boon to improve my shooting.
    Thanks for all the thoughts.

One thing I've learned playing with the Red Dots which only applies if the iron sights are co witnessed with them is I do better if I look for the sights. Find the sights and the Red Dot will be there.

Your absolutely correct, with use and training the dot will become easier to find quickly. Many officers at my old dept had the same issue, they had to tilt the Glock up or down to find the sight which tells me that the gun doesn't point naturally for them.
    One firearm guy I mostly trust will pick up a gun, close his eyes and present it like he's gonna shoot. Then open his eyes to see if he's looking at the sights. I find myself doing that now often and most of the time they are there already lined up.
    Still didn't work for the Glock so the grip angle or something must not have been right for me.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    One thing I've learned playing with the Red Dots which only applies if the iron sights are co witnessed with them is I do better if I look for the sights. Find the sights and the Red Dot will be there.
    Sorta defeats the purpose of the red dot.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Not really, we're used to looking for the sights so it's a reference point. If your just looking for the dot and your slightly off you don't know which way to move to find it. Suppose that's where the practice would come in. One might consistently have to lower the front for the dot to appear, so you'd do that every time.

On my Canik I find that if I point like I'm gonna shoot, the dot is there. If I'm just casually holding it and looking to see if the dot is working, it's sometimes hard to find the durn thing. Sometimes to the point where I think it quit working but it's alive and well, just hiding.

I'm still an iron sight guy but I'm trying to accept a little of this new star wars stuff. Also trying to accept tupperware rifle stocks and polymer pistols. Having more trouble with that than Red Dots.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan