Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CC ammunition for CM9?

Default CC ammunition for CM9?

I'm at that stage where I just don't think I'll be shooting as much as I used to, maybe once every month or two from a draw at the local gravel pit, doing some mag changes, etc. Basically, verifying I can hit something fast at assorted ranges and verifying the reliability of my pair of CM9s with hollow points.

Therefore, I don't see myself going through a lot of ammo and wondered if there was any ammunition that might cause problems. I'm currently loading up with Federal HST 124-grain standard pressure, but my supplies are a bit limited. I have some pretty good supplies of Hornady 124-grain XTP +P rounds and quite a bit of Federal HST 147-grain standard pressure. All of these are hollow points, of course.

Thanks for the input.

IMHO..........As long as you stay away from Fiocchi, I think you'll be good.

The 147 grain HST should be fine. The Hornady is fine too but I wouldn’t run plus P in my CM9.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I don't know why and lack a solid reason but while I usually lean towards heavy for caliber, in the 9 I always prefer the 124 gr stuff.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

My personal carry ammo in my PM9 is Sig Sauer V-Crown 124 grain 9mm standard pressure non +p which shoots great, never had a jam and is accurate…….I have also used Hornady Critical Defence standard pressure 124 grain and they also cycle fine and are equally accurate at self defense distances and either one would do you well….….I would not recommend +p ammo in your CM9 because it’s hard on the gun and not necessary in a short barrel pistol which will have more muzzle flash and recoil but not much more realistic performance…….While expensive it’s a good idea is to try several different SD rounds to be sure they work in your gun and see where they print at 10 yards or so and then stick to them and then practice with the same bullet weight range ammo and you will be good to go…….

Excellent advice. Thanks to you all.

I've run quite a variety of HP ammos through my CW9's... and my CM9/PM9's for that matter... and never had a problem. I agree with the others to stay away from +P.

I used to be a big 'heavy for caliber' guy, and ran 147's in my carry pistol... but I don't anymore. 147's are fine in a standard (5") pistol, where the extra barrel length will get that bullet moving fast enough to usually allow expansion, but I have come to the conclusion that might be a little iffy in the shorter CW9, and the definitely shorter CM/PM9 barrel... so I've moved to either 124grn, or Hornady's excellent 135grn HP ammos. Just my .02 worth.

I've had no problems with Federal HST 124 gn loads. Just to add another one, I've also had no issues with Sig "V-Crown" 115 gn. JHP rounds, "optimized for CCW". (per Sig)

I have carried the Federal 150 gr Micro HST for a number of years in my PM9. It has functioned without hiccup and is accurate in my gun. Here is some data to look at.

Handgun Self-Defense Ammunition - Ballistic Testing Data (luckygunner.com)

I've carried Speer Gold Dot 124 grain in all my 9mms since the early 2000s without issue. I tried +P for a while, but I agree with everyone else. More recoil and flash and, according to the numbers, not much more performance.
    I do not recommend Cor-Bon in the little polymers! It feels like shooting a Desert Eagle!