Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CC ammunition for CM9?

Thanks to you all. I think I've got it covered now.

I'll be the contrarian, in that I use 124 gr +P Hornady XTP in my PM9, as I believe velocity aids expansion, and expansion not only helps to guard against over penetration, it also can hit harder with larger wound channels, so more is better in a 3.1" barrel IMO.

I use standard pressure rounds in my modified CZ SP01 with it's 5" barrel, as the longer barrel aids velocity etc, and I shoot it out to longer distances.

That said, there certainly is more recoil and flash etc, so only use +P if you can handle it semi-comfortably, and be accurate with it out to 10 yds or so IMO.
    Last edited by djd100; 04-20-2022 at 02:39 AM.

Good advice. Thanks to you all. Wish I wasn't sitting on a bunch of 147 grain HPs, but that's my reality at the moment. Perhaps I can do a trade at the next gun show. For the time being, if the 147 grain (HST and Winchester Ranger) cycles well, I'll use it.

My department issues us 124 grain Speer Gold Dots.

Quote Originally Posted by weemsf50 View Post
    My department issues us 124 grain Speer Gold Dots.
    That's a good round. My old dept when they foolishly went from 45's back to 9's carried 124 gr which is my preference. Originally we had Gold Dots, I think now they have gone to Federal but not certain. Did a whole circle, started with 9's, went to 40's and finally after 10 years of nagging by me 45's. Just before I retired they got back on the more is better school of thought and went back to 9's. No longer my problem.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by SlimLawson View Post
    I have carried the Federal 150 gr Micro HST for a number of years in my PM9. It has functioned without hiccup and is accurate in my gun. Here is some data to look at.

Handgun Self-Defense Ammunition - Ballistic Testing Data (luckygunner.com)
    No PM9, but I really like Federal 150 gr Micro HST for my micro 9mm guns.
    Standard go to in all 9mm guns - Federal HST 147 standard pressure.
    Last edited by Barth; 04-29-2022 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimLawson View Post
    I have carried the Federal 150 gr Micro HST for a number of years in my PM9. It has functioned without hiccup and is accurate in my gun. Here is some data to look at.

Handgun Self-Defense Ammunition - Ballistic Testing Data (luckygunner.com)
    Note that the M&P Compact used in the Lucky Gunner tests has a 4" barrel, vs 3.1" for our CM/PM 9's, which is near a 25% increase etc, so velocity is improved to some degree via the longer barrel.

I seriously doubt 1'' of barrel especially in the under 4'' category makes a lot of difference but you are correct.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I seriously doubt 1'' of barrel especially in the under 4'' category makes a lot of difference but you are correct.
    IIRC, at the time of the test the M&PC was around 3.5." I don't think they had the 4" until the M2.0 came out. So the difference is even less, but I'm not a 9mm fan so I'm already biased. I do think that HP expansion might suffer as the barrel length/velocity descreases for most rounds/calibers.

From LG website:

To the OP, although times have have changed, as well as ammo prices and availability for different brands/versions of ammo, before the pandemic I settled on Rem 115gr +P HTP. Lackluster specs, but with performance from a shorter barrel I am OK with, a price I could practice with, and good local availability (again, pre-pandemic). It kicks less than the NATO loadings, and I had no issues in the CM9 nor K9. However, I don't carry my 9's much.

ShootingTheBull410 has some interesting videos on 3" 9mm ammo performance. I don't agree with some of his opinions, but there's a lot of interesting tests of 9mm and 9mm +P in 115gr-147gr options.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ShootingTheBull410

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    The delta seems to be between 50 - 100 FPS on average, with the lighter bullet weights seeing a bigger change (between 3" and 4" for 9mm).

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html