Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Return of the CT380

Ralph - it’s been a while since I’ve fired my P9 and I don’t ever recall shooting it side by side with the CT380. With that caveat, I feel like the 380 has less felt recoil than the 9mm.

I wish you could find one to shoot. I’d hate for you to buy a gun based on my perception of felt recoil.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Ralph - it’s been a while since I’ve fired my P9 and I don’t ever recall shooting it side by side with the CT380. With that caveat, I feel like the 380 has less felt recoil than the 9mm.

I wish you could find one to shoot. I’d hate for you to buy a gun based on my perception of felt recoil.
    No problem David and yes I wish we had some gun ranges with rental guns. We just really do not however. I'm researching and researching in an attempt to get other reviews as well though. The CT-380 is thin enough that a hogue grip could be added and that would also help with felt recoil. The LCP Max is wider, so I don't see adding an over-grip to it as being viable. Anyhow, if it doesn't work out I'll sell it and move on.

Ralph

I'm kind of a broken record and set in my ways but I'd stick to a 9 if at all possible or go to a revolver.
    At first she might be intimidated but shouldn't take long at all to acclimate to the 9. No reason to provide her a defensive weapon with an inferior caliber. I think if recoil is so important I'd stick with the 22 over the 380.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I smell a caliber war brewing.

I'm a lover not a fighter! But I don't agree with the concept of providing women with tiny little guns because they don't like recoil. They are already at a disadvantage as most/many don't practice much, most many lack the killer mindset, so the gun is like a talisman. Comforting that they have it although again most carry in a purse and leave the purse in the car.
    There are of course exceptions and women are generally naturally better shooters as there's no pressure to do well.
    Course now days I guess if a guy shoots poorly he can identify as I'm just a girl......????
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

And so I totally agree with you on this. Little 380s like the LCP have a lot of recoil and are hard to shoot. Usually not a good choice for someone recoil sensitive.

A 9mm-sized locked breech 380 like the Smith and Wesson 380EZ or even the Sig P365 in 380 are better choices for someone sensitive to recoil as they will have significantly less recoil than their 9mm counterparts or an LCP.

Maybe take them to the range with a 40 and then they would really appreciate the mild recoil of the 9. I wouldn't suggest a 45 as they would no doubt be surprised and like it and you'll find yourself getting them a 45. Don't go there. They might hurt somebody.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

The one and only time my wife, who hates guns went shooting with me was because our out of town daughter was here for Christmas and for some reason the kids wanted to go shooting so I packed up a .22 Ruger and a 4” S&W 586 revolver and a M&P full size 9mm and when it came the wife’s turn to shoot I loaded up the 586 with target .38 special loads and showed her how to hold it and cock the revolver single action and stood back and I’ll be damned if she didn’t kill it and shot very well……I figured 2 or 3 rounds would be enough but she liked it and made me reload several times and she was just drilling a target at 10 yards…….She still has no interest in shooting or CCW but the fact that she took to a revolver so well tells me that perhaps a small .380 or 9mm isn’t always the best choice for a women that wants a pistol for protection but is not interested in doing range time and learning to correct jams in a small semi auto…….IMHO the best firearm for a female novice shooter is a small .38 special revolver with a hammer because it’s simple, reliable and effective and with standard pressure good ammo the recoil isn’t a problem…..

Maybe, but an L frame revolver isn’t exactly a ccw piece. A smaller J frame size revolver has exponentially more felt recoil than that L frame.

A j frame in 32 is a soft shooter. Might get you into the ammo debate, but is "simple" as getsome outlined, without being "scary" to a first timer. Were I to consider one, it would be loaded with jacketed, non hollow points. No concern about cloggingng up the point with clothing to effect expansion. Just a focus on penrtration. Same reason I load my LCP with high velocity 22's that are not hollow points, or sometimes a little 380, with non hollow point loads.