Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Different slidestop/takedown lever/pin on K's

Thank you Sir.
    It won't mar the finish, and I don't have to look at it to know the slide is positioned where it needs to be. So that's good.
    I don't know how much this gun was shot or cleaned but I'm hoping it loosens up over time so that I don't have to use my vinyl tap hammer to get the pin to move.
    I just made it yesterday and haven't used it but twice to test it. I'm thinking that with some vinyl washers I could probably "adjust" the depth for other guns with a shorter distance for the slide to travel to line up, that need as much persuasion to give up their pins. As I mentioned before, every Kahr I've owned has loosened over time to where a finger on the backside of it is enough to push the pin, but this being of the old style retention I'm not sure this one ever will be moveable without a tap from a hammer to get it started.

It probably won't ever be moveable without the tap and that's a good thing. Keeps it tight. I wish all the Kahrs had this same system, especially the T's. The other just seems like a weak sister to me. Too easy for the little screw to loosen and mess things up. Never happened to me, course I only have the PM45 and the T with that set up, so maybe I'll stay lucky.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I put a sharpie cap into the breech to hold the slide open. It is just about perfect for alignment and then I tap the pin out.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

If you think the other type Kahrs are a weak sister you should take a gander at the Sig P938 and 238. Once you line up the slide you can practically blow on the pin to get it out Don't get me wrong, their fine pistols and I like them but some of the very early ones required an owner bend on the springs to keep the slide stop lever from coming out if the guns were turned on their left side and held there while manually racking the slide.

I think with this "tool" I'll be fine with the tap to remove method. At least until I man up and recover some of the lost strength in my left hand.

I have an older K9 purchased around 2001. It is hard to get the slide stop out. I grip it how Bawanna illustrated in his post, then use the plastic back of a screwdriver to push it out.

@dao. I made a wood block similar to the plastic one for my P380 a couple of years back. I also made a wooden pusher for the pin.

FYI... Kahr also makes a hold open block for the K series.
    https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/ca...9-tdnblock.asp

Years ago I whittled a small block of wood to insert into the breech. Now I usually just use the square rear end the magazine base to push the pin out. Only once have I been able to push the pin out with my thumb.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

I guess all great minds think alike huh guys?

Thanks ripley I didn't even think about making something to go inside the barrel. I may pick one of those up on my next shopping trip to Kahr since it's small enough to fit in my cleaning box. I visit their site all the time and have never run across one of those. Priced right too! Hey Dusty how about pics of what you came up with? We're living proof that necessity is the mother of invention.

I started out making a push block with a piece of white HD plastic but like the Colonel said it's much easier to give it a tap, so I just settled on using the vinyl side of my gunsmithing hammer instead of the push block to go at the pin.

My AE series K9 did get a little easier with time. But I still tap it out with the plastic hammer, because I don't like pain. My Elite 03 is still just as tight as ever, but it hasn't been shot or cleaned nearly as much. Add me to the list of those who prefer the system on the steel frame version.

That Kahr hold-open block? The one I got doesn't quite line things up. I still just hold the thing as Bawana illustrated and tap the pin out.

Over 30 types handguns collected, and this is the one (no slide release notch) I couldn't take apart until I found this thread. Thank you!