Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kahr P45 cracked frame

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    Yes, I have done the same Colonel. Mostly when restoring interior trim, etc when I was a hot rodder/drag racer. The liquid plastic polish is what I’ve found to work best as a final polish, after any other sanding or polishing. Kinda like the Mother’s metal polish, but too plastic. Very low abrasion, so it get’s a high gloss finish. But, I would think the entire grip would then need polishing to match or it would stand out. That may be an issue in the rough textured areas.
    Sometimes, when I’ve purchased new G10 grips they come looking very dry or powdery. I use furniture wax (spray can) to bring those to life. Squirt them, let them sit, then rub it in and wipe off the excess. Really brings out whatever color is in the grips. They smell kinda nice afterwards too!
    Very interesting Bird, will have to try it out. Ever done your own strippling? One thing nice about a modular gun. You can always get a new grip. And I have messed up a few. In fact have some grips that I have messed up, and will start some experiments with polishing. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    We'll be here DGladden, take your time and do it right.

I use oil on my G10 grips Bird. I use FP-10 for nearly all my cleaning and oiling anyway and so I just apply it liberally to the grips. And them wipe them off with my fondling rag. Talk about a good smell. Remember that line in Apocalypse Now when Robert Duvall said "I just love the smell of FP-10 in the morning"? Oh wait, I may be confused. Too much oil fumes I guess But seriously, FP-10 smells great.
    The FP-10 is new to me. I looked it up just now. Says CLP on it. Maybe it’s a new version of the CLP that I use? Yes, I have used that as well to soak down guns. Really seems to penetrate into everything very well. Most Sigs finishes always seem to be a bit dry or powdery in appearance, with some showing the slightest hair scratches easily. The CLP seems to make them disappear. Good “all around” stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    Very interesting Bird, will have to try it out. Ever done your own strippling? One thing nice about a modular gun. You can always get a new grip. And I have messed up a few. In fact have some grips that I have messed up, and will start some experiments with polishing. Thanks for posting.
    Certainly and you as well! Yes, I have stippled a few times (2), but using a standard soldering iron. I thought they came out nice, and it was fun to see the change, but if I were to do it again I would follow up with a heat gun to semi smooth the sharp edges of the dimples. Saw that being done in a few videos and they said it kept the grabbiness but took away some of the extreme abrasiveness. I’ve seen some amazing stipple jobs when guys get the right stuff, such as the wood burning kits with the interesting shaped tips.
    I think this guy went a bit too far...
    28C49A36-F422-4FCC-B042-218C4B048F7C.jpg
    Now maybe if the slide, barrel, trigger and take down pin were polished...

It's not a new version of CLP Bird, at least not the same brand. It's got its own history and formula. Doesn't smell like chemicals or solvents at all either. It's kind of unique. I've been using it for years and use it for all but serious build up on a gun that has not been cleaned regularly.
    Gotta hand it to whoever did the stipling on that Kahr. It's like one of those things that you either like a lot, or not at all. I'd imagine it feels like a cheese grater though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think they must make a few versions. Sounds like what you’ve got smells better than my CLP. It does have a strong chemical smell (reminds me of “press wash” we used as a Lithographer’s Mate in the Navy) that my wife can’t stand. I’ll give yours a shot once I run out.
    229C15E4-FA0B-4950-B2BF-486F1C70CE04.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    Certainly and you as well! Yes, I have stippled a few times (2), but using a standard soldering iron. I thought they came out nice, and it was fun to see the change, but if I were to do it again I would follow up with a heat gun to semi smooth the sharp edges of the dimples. Saw that being done in a few videos and they said it kept the grabbiness but took away some of the extreme abrasiveness. I’ve seen some amazing stipple jobs when guys get the right stuff, such as the wood burning kits with the interesting shaped tips.
    I think this guy went a bit too far...
    28C49A36-F422-4FCC-B042-218C4B048F7C.jpg
    Now maybe if the slide, barrel, trigger and take down pin were polished...
    I personally like it. It would look better as you say with polished slide. I am the last person that should ever touch a heat gun with anything, but I got tired of the grip tape coming off my very heavily shot Beretta Nano and the Nano has a slick grip to begin with other than the back strap. . Lousy job as far as looks, but I have to say the grip feels great and solid when shooting. I have a picture somewhere of a pro job, but the cost was like $85.00.
    same with Pico

Here is a PRO job.

Just saw this website. Some nice patterns
    https://www.brazenfirearms.com/colle...ippling-cobweb

King that does not look lousy to me. Maybe better in the pics than real life? That last one (fde color frame) is one of my favorite stipple styles.

I think they look good too. With my artistic talents if I ever put them to work on stippling I'd have to spring for a new frame.

Didn't mean to say that FP-10 is not a CLP Bird, but that it's not the same company which makes "the" CLP. I think the only reason they and others might get away with using the acronym is because Clean Lubicate and Protect was a thing before the company that makes the well know product began using it as a name. The FP-10 really does smell good. Wholesome even. Especially with popcorn. Or a beer. Or both.

All kidding aside, days after cleaning and or re-lubing my guns I will put them to my nose just to smell them while handling them.

Wife don't use them but maybe a person could throw their gun in the dryer with one of them sweet smelling dryer sheets. Just a thought......ok a bad thought.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."