Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Xssights
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kahr P45 cracked frame

Design changes? How silly. We all know that Kahr’s single stack design is the pinnacle of concealed carry engineering. So called advancements made by other manufacturers are 100% marketing hype.

Disclosure 1: for certain conceal carry situations I do find the CT380 to be the pinnacle of design

Disclosure 2: I can’t find the sarcasm button but my post is sarcasm, mostly

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DGladden View Post
    They would end up replacing the serialized polymer frame. It would have a new serial number and all. The customer service rep did say that was a strange place for a crack and that he had never seen one break there before. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards doing a grip chop.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    Just thinking out loud, But I see a new slide is $145. So getting a new P45 for around $400 and have a spare slide as well.

If you do the chop keep us posted (with pics please) as that would be interesting to see.

Kahr PM45 on top, P45 on bottom. A P45 Covert. Good idea!
    Looks like you've got about 5/16" to play with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like it would just clear the crack if the nubs are all in the same place. It's up into the second row which is eliminated on the PM.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I will be watching this thread. I'm curious to see how it turns out. I've often wondered what polymer would look like after repairing mars to it. Some of the polymers used are very prone to scuffs and scratches. I don't mind even wear on a gun, or even wear on the high points from holstering and such, but I don't care for scratches, nicks, or gouges. It would be interesting to see what someone like Bird could do to a polymer finish trying to "freshen" up its appearance and/or making it look brand new. For instance I recently cut down some Pearce grip extensions for the K9 I picked up, to remove some to the pinky extension that isn't needed for my own pinky to have a full grip on the gun. After shortening them with my bench grinder and then using a much finer sandpaper on them the places I had ground and sanded are a lighter gray then the rest of the extension. It would be ideal to have the color match without resorting to a Sharpie as I did.

Most (not all) tupperware will polish up. A little dremel or a polishing wheel with a little compound. I think it kind of hydrates the tupperware more than anything.
    I sometimes just throw stuff at it, car wax, oil, experiment a little bit.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Yes, I have done the same Colonel. Mostly when restoring interior trim, etc when I was a hot rodder/drag racer. The liquid plastic polish is what I’ve found to work best as a final polish, after any other sanding or polishing. Kinda like the Mother’s metal polish, but too plastic. Very low abrasion, so it get’s a high gloss finish. But, I would think the entire grip would then need polishing to match or it would stand out. That may be an issue in the rough textured areas.
    Sometimes, when I’ve purchased new G10 grips they come looking very dry or powdery. I use furniture wax (spray can) to bring those to life. Squirt them, let them sit, then rub it in and wipe off the excess. Really brings out whatever color is in the grips. They smell kinda nice afterwards too!

I believe I will attempt to chop the grip. If I screw it up then I'll bite the bullet and send it in to Kahr for a new frame. But after doing a little research it appears that Kahr once offered a P45 Covert, which was basically a P45 slide assembly on a PM45 frame. I've seen some pictures of them and they look like an excellent carry package. Now I have to get my hands on five round mag. I'll start cruising eBay when I get paid next week and see if I can snag a factory mag for a reasonable price. I will absolutely document the process and post it here. Although it may be a little bit before I get around to it.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

We'll be here DGladden, take your time and do it right.

I use oil on my G10 grips Bird. I use FP-10 for nearly all my cleaning and oiling anyway and so I just apply it liberally to the grips. And them wipe them off with my fondling rag. Talk about a good smell. Remember that line in Apocalypse Now when Robert Duvall said "I just love the smell of FP-10 in the morning"? Oh wait, I may be confused. Too much oil fumes I guess But seriously, FP-10 smells great.