Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grip Technique on Micro Compact Pistols

I prefer Josey Wales on grip when he said you gotta get a little mad dog mean. It's sort of like some guys, you get the most work out of them when you piss them off. Take a new shooter especially a female and tell her your gonna harm her or her offspring, get her pissed off mad and she'll choke that grip and ruin your day.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

As "GETSOME" said, I am also big fan of Rob Leatham. Always so much practical sense (IMO). From trigger control, to proper grip to shooting fast to target without sights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4yO...el=GunsAmerica

When shooting a revolver, don’t be a hot dog:
    https://youtu.be/t6vMkk8VYzc
    And make sure you have an assistant like this one (Kahr involved too)
    https://youtu.be/uyUP4Ac_bb8

Farm Girl is funner to watch the Leatham. Just sayin.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Farm Girl is funner to watch the Leatham. Just sayin.

Yea, but she would get you killed. A MAJOR distraction. Watch from a computer only. HOTTER THAN HOT!

I can't grip real tight from the computer?
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

QUOTE by dubious_79..."When I shoot a double action revolver I don't use the pad of the tip of my finger, I use the next part down past the crease for maximum strength and smoothness (see the pic below). However, when I am shooting with a two hands forward grip. my trigger finger rubs against my support hand....I'm considering keeping my support thumb off the pistol entirely to make more space for my index finger. What works for you guys? Do you use a two thumbs forward grip to maximize recoil control on these tiny double action pistols?"
    Hello Dubious,
    As DAO stated, you'll get a lot of different opinions on this subject, as with anything firearms related as it seems. I've been shooting for nearly 50 years, so I'll offer my two cents. The bottom line however is that people need to use whatever technique works best for them.

*My grip starts with a one handed grip similar to the picture you referenced. This is a very strong grip because you are maximizing hand contact on the pistol and fully utilizing the thumb. I then wrap my support hand around my pistol hand with it's thumb falling on top of the pistol hands thumb. So both thumbs are aiding with support of the firearm. I disagree with the notion you get maximum recoil control with the thumbs forward method. I can shoot either but crossed thumbs offer the greater stability for me.

There are times however when my trigger finger does slightly rub against the support hand thumb as I am pulling the trigger. It depends on the pistol that I am shooting and it really has no affect on my accuracy (to many years shooting). I simply make a minor adjustment because the goal should always be to isolate the trigger finger.

Anyhow, this grip works very well for me and I've always been a highly proficient shooter. The thumb over thumb grip also utilizes both thumbs in a strong fashion whereas the thumbs forward grip does not. It's really a matter of preference though.

*In regards to using the pad of the finger or the finger joint. The more finger you have on the trigger the less conducive for accuracy. Because you are introducing side pressure to the trigger in addition to rear pressure, as you pull it. This is easily demonstrated by putting the trigger in the joint of you finger and pulling the trigger. Your finger will apply backward force as well as some side force to the trigger as you pull the trigger and as your finger wraps around it.

In contrast, it's nearly impossible to introduce such side pressures to the trigger while using the tip of the finger. So it's better to learn to shoot using the pad of your finger -vs- the joint.

Having said that, yes you'll need to use more of your finger, even to the joint, with pistols that have a heavy trigger pull such as revolvers. Accomplished shooters simply adjust to this type trigger pull to insure they are pulling it straight back. It's just difficult to use the pad of your finger on many revolvers. Whereas, if I were shooting a gun with a very light trigger I'd use the very tip of my finger to minimize any possible disruption.

So your gun will play a factor in both the precise grip and trigger pull you utilize. That's why it's important to pick a gun that you are comfortable with and then to practice regularly with it. Especially if you carry.

Happy Easter,
    Ralph

1)

Quote Originally Posted by dubious_79 View Post
    Hi, I really enjoy the revolver like double action Kahr triggers. It's smoother than any smith and wesson I've ever shot. When I shoot a double action revolver I don't use the pad of the tip of my finger, I use the next part down past the crease for maximum strength and smoothness (see the pic below). Howeever, when I am shooting with a two hands forward grip. my trigger finger rubs against my support hand. It's an odd feeling, but it seems to work for me at the range. I'm considering keeping my support thumb off the pistol entirely to make more space for my index finger. What works for you guys? Do you use a two thumbs forward grip to maximize recoil control on these tiny double action pistols?

DOUBLE ACTION REVOLVER TRIGGER CONTROL

TWO THUMBS FORWARD:
    my experience has been try different techniques for the pistol you are shooting and go with what works for your hand size, finger length, and dexterity. Do what allows you to pull straight back and you won’t tend to pull left or right is what I look for.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I can't grip real tight from the computer?
    You can, just don’t let the wifey catch you “gripping” to Farm Girl!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    You can, just don’t let the wifey catch you “gripping” to Farm Girl!