Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop

Thread: Range report....

Default Range report....

Hello All,
    I was able to shoot a little today and just wanted to share the results. Anyhow, I recently purchased a ccw gun for my wife (Remington RM380) and I was able to shoot it as well as my Kahr S9 today.

1) I only shot 7 rds with my Kahr S9 (prior to leaving) but managed a 7in grouping from 90ft (first pic). This gun never ceases to impress me especially since adding some TruGlo nights sights from Kahr.com. Those are some really impressive sights. I feel like I have the perfect setup with my S9 at this point.

2) I looked at a lot of small .380 acp pistols for my wife before deciding on the Remington RM380. It just had the best balance of size and weight in comparison to all the other micro type pistols. The only draw back is with the tiny fixed sights. I believe I may be able to add a front night sight made for a shotgun bead though. I believe this will make a huge difference for this gun. This is the third time I have shot it, btw. The first time I ran 20 rounds through it and experienced two FTF due to light primer strikes. The second time I ran 50 rounds and experienced 1 FTF. All rounds fired with the second strike. Today I ran 40rds and experienced no malfunctions what-so-ever. So I think it is breaking in good after some polishing and having now ran over 100 rds through it. I'm shooting high and to the right but I have real difficulty seeing the sights. My wife has no issues with the sights. Anyhow my groupings were... 10ft = 1 1/4in, 20ft = 2 3/4in, 30ft = 5.0in, 45ft = 8.0in (second pic). It's only meant to be an up-close pistol but I like testing a gun from a distance. It's not to bad.

FYI, she wanted the gun in a two tone color which I couldn't find. So I painted the slide and trigger gunstock metalic gray and then clear-coated it. It turned out really nice.

Happy Easter,
    Ralph
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it turned out nice and looks factory. I think you do real well shooting it to. More so given it’s size and it’s sights.

I know they were very popular a few years back. I have not heard much about them for a while. There was a avid Pocketgunner on this forum (Boscobell) that would talk about them. Maybe do a search and find some of his post. All metal, mild shooting. Congrats, keep up the good work.
    Based on the Rohrbaugh R380 whose company Remington purchased in 2014, the RM380 is a sub-compact design intended for concealed carry. Features include all metal action, fully functional slide stop, ambidextrous magazine release and grooved front strap.

Thanks guys!

It's really an impressive little pistol which can easily be broken completely down. She'll be able to manage the recoil on this one as well. The Kahr CT380 was another consideration high on my list but it's apparently difficult to rack and some complain of reliability issues. The Remington is easy to rack, has second strike capability, and is generally regarded as highly reliable. So it had some advantages over most every other micro pistol. Go figure. It's also a little heavier than many with a lower bore axis which helps with recoil. I had never heard of the gun and only came across it after weeks of research and consideration.

God Bless,
    Ralph

Happy Easter Ralph!
    It sounds like you made an informed decision on that one. If she likes it as much as you do and it runs well she'll be well set up.

Default Range report....

Nice job on the slide!

I have an RM380 that I’ve put 875 flawless rounds through. It definitely has some frame wear. It’s a soft shooter but I don’t care for the really long and heavy trigger. I put Galloway springs in it to lighten the pull which helped some but truth be told I never could shoot it well. At least not as well as you.

I much prefer my CT380 but agree that it’s much harder to rack. The RM380 is ridiculously easy to rack. The RM is on my list of guns to sell or trade.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I’ve never read any complaints about the RM380.
    Bought two of them when Remington was running their rebate promotions.
    Gifted one to a son, the other to my oldest grandson who uses it for his EDC.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling