Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just purchased Used Kahr P380 Said To Be in Excellent Condition

In summary, don't be afraid and don't create issues in your mind before you have issues.

I believe you'll be fine and dandy. I didn't know the mag guts came with a new follower, that's probably a good thing as it was mentioned Lakeline doesn't make a follower for the 380.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Hello markfromminn and welcome to Kahrtalk, glad you joined us and thank you sir for your service to our country……As others have said there is nothing defective with a P380 and they are fine pistols…..You got a decent price for it so I wouldn’t be afraid of picking it up and I’m pretty sure it will be a fine little pocket gun for you……Kahr .380 pistols don’t get along with Fiocchi ammo but work well with Hornady or most decent self defense ammo so I would clean it and lube it up good and then go shoot it and see what it will do…..The only thing I would do is maybe call Kahr for a new recoil spring since you don’t know the round count but if it shoots well as is then all is good……Again welcome to the forum and let us know how it goes……

The P380 is not a defective gun, or design. I've owned three. Two I sold because my first was a used stainless two tone. It ran fine but I liked black better. I traded it on a new all black P380 which also ran fine. Then I bought my wife an all black P380 with night sights that also ran fine. When she began having trouble racking the slide we moved her onto another platform and I sold my black P380 and kept hers with the night sights. It is my "no excuses" gun that enables me to be armed regardless of where I'm at and what I'm wearing. Since I don't do speedos I can always carry at least that. And I won't part with it.
    I've owned a fair number of Kahr pistols and have had good luck with all of them. The break-in procedure is a must and because a lot of people don't know this, if they have problems with a new Kahr they will sell them prematurely. If your gun is new, follow the procedure. If it's used but appears to be little used, follow the procedure. I would not hesitate to pick up another P380 if I saw a lonely one sitting at my LGS.
    I've had all the calibers available but sold the .40's for the same reason the Colonel doesn't prefer them. They're not painful, just snappier than I like in a defensive handgun. In the summer I wear cargo shorts and my PM45 sits in my front pocket nicely, concealed and comfortably. And comforting.
    Welcome to the board, thank you for your service, and give your P380 a chance to impress you before you make the decision to return it. You'll amost certainly be glad that you did.

Oh, and after just now taking a look at the Kahr break in post I would add that for me "several times" racking the slide is generally 200-300 times by hand with no mag and an otherwise empty gun. I am not kidding. I will generally put on a pair of gloves and rack it in counts of 50. On the larger Kahrs I might stop after doing so once with each hand, wait awhile and then resume. These guns have tight tolerances and racking the slide removes micro burrs and mates the moving parts together as only cycling can. It saves a bunch on ammo and time. Then leave the slide locked back and the mags fully loaded overnight before you hit the range.

Last thing I'll say is that I've owned multiple Kahrs continuously since early 2003 and have yet to own one that did not run reliably. Not to say that a Kahr can't have an issue, just as all manufacturers can, but their customer service is good and most problems can be alleviated with the proper break in procedure.

Love the 380 Kahr, Own two that are flawless shooting. That said, when is Kahr going to get with the Program and put a damn Red Dot on them?

(just kidding about the Red Dot, but had to throw that in)

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    Love the 380 Kahr, Own two that are flawless shooting. That said, when is Kahr going to get with the Program and put a damn Red Dot on them?

(just kidding about the Red Dot, but had to throw that in)
    I don’t need a red dot for my CT380 but I’m patiently waiting for a 15 round extended magazine.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

If I carried a 380 I'd want at least a 15 round magazine and a couple spares.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

and a Howitzer.........................