Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just purchased Used Kahr P380 Said To Be in Excellent Condition

Default Just purchased Used Kahr P380 Said To Be in Excellent Condition

Just a few days ago, I purchased a used Kahr P380 said to be excellent condition. I paid a total of $472 counting taxes and fees. Plus I will have to pay the dealer near me a transfer fee of $20. This will be my first Kahr.

I live in the southeast and hold a concealed carry permit, which I obtained because I recognize that if I have the skills (which I do) and the means (which I do) to protect not just myself, but others around me, I need to be prepared for that possibility. I would hate to be in a situation where I have to watch something bad happen to somebody else and I can't do anything to stop it. I hope I never have to use a firearm in a real life confrontation, but I would rather be prepared for nothing than unprepared for something. I served honorably on active duty in the Marine Corps infantry back in the 1990s, so I had firearms safety instilled me. In almost 30 years of handling firearms, I've never once had an "accidental" discharge. I put accidental in quotes because as my fellow gun enthusiasts know, there's no such thing as an accidental shooting.

I've been carrying a Glock 27, which I purchased about 18 years ago. It's a nice gun and is good for concealed carry, but it isn't quite as small as some other guns and therefore isn't as comfortable as some other guns could be. In just the last few months I became really enamored with the idea of carrying something smaller, more comfortable, and easier to conceal. I just recently picked up the Glock 42. I know it's a .380, but I wanted to feel the satisfaction of knowing I own the smallest Glock on the market. And I also was interested in the Kahr P380 because it's more of a pocket pistol than is the G42.

I've seen mixed reviews on the Kahr P380, but then from what I've seen almost all pocket pistols seem to have some mixed reviews. I'm a tad bit nervous that I could have purchased a $450 paperweight based on a few reviews. But then on other reviews, it looks like a good .380.

My next purchase I want to go for a subcompact 9MM. Perhaps even the Kahr PM .40 or .45. I would love to hear what everybody has to say about the Kahr P380. And sorry for mentioning Glock on a Kahr forum (don't know if that is against the ToS!), but just sharing a bit about what I've owned and how I made it to the point of purchasing my first Kahr. I haven't even yet picked it up.

Welcome Mark, glad you found us. Thank you for your service. Everyone here knows my feelings on 380's so we don't need to go there. I have the PM45 and like it very much, I've not played with the PM9 or PM40 but have a K40. That being said in my personal opinion not worth the cyber whatevers it takes to write this I'd go PM9 or PM45. Bypass the 40 although some here love it. Too much flip for me, not painful but lots of flip.

It's perfectly ok to say the G word or any other brands around here, good healthy discussion is always a good thing.

I'd get the 380, clean it good, run it a little wet with good factory ammo and shoot it like ya stole it. You should be fine and if not come on back and the group will help sort it out if needed.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Is the P380 a defective model?

THe stuff I'm seeing on the P380 is making me scared. I haven't yet picked it up. If it's a defective model, do I have a case for a full refund you think? I am thinking I am leaning towards not picking it up, in which case I will be charged a "restocking" fee. If this is a defective model, I am feeling like it shouldn't have been for sale in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by markfromminn View Post
    Just a few days ago, I purchased a used Kahr P380 said to be excellent condition. I paid a total of $472 counting taxes and fees. Plus I will have to pay the dealer near me a transfer fee of $20. This will be my first Kahr.

I live in the southeast and hold a concealed carry permit, which I obtained because I recognize that if I have the skills (which I do) and the means (which I do) to protect not just myself, but others around me, I need to be prepared for that possibility. I would hate to be in a situation where I have to watch something bad happen to somebody else and I can't do anything to stop it. I hope I never have to use a firearm in a real life confrontation, but I would rather be prepared for nothing than unprepared for something. I served honorably on active duty in the Marine Corps infantry back in the 1990s, so I had firearms safety instilled me. In almost 30 years of handling firearms, I've never once had an "accidental" discharge. I put accidental in quotes because as my fellow gun enthusiasts know, there's no such thing as an accidental shooting.

I've been carrying a Glock 27, which I purchased about 18 years ago. It's a nice gun and is good for concealed carry, but it isn't quite as small as some other guns and therefore isn't as comfortable as some other guns could be. In just the last few months I became really enamored with the idea of carrying something smaller, more comfortable, and easier to conceal. I just recently picked up the Glock 42. I know it's a .380, but I wanted to feel the satisfaction of knowing I own the smallest Glock on the market. And I also was interested in the Kahr P380 because it's more of a pocket pistol than is the G42.

I've seen mixed reviews on the Kahr P380, but then from what I've seen almost all pocket pistols seem to have some mixed reviews. I'm a tad bit nervous that I could have purchased a $450 paperweight based on a few reviews. But then on other reviews, it looks like a good .380.

My next purchase I want to go for a subcompact 9MM. Perhaps even the Kahr PM .40 or .45. I would love to hear what everybody has to say about the Kahr P380. And sorry for mentioning Glock on a Kahr forum (don't know if that is against the ToS!), but just sharing a bit about what I've owned and how I made it to the point of purchasing my first Kahr. I haven't even yet picked it up.

As someone that has been shooting pocket guns for years, all I can see you scored big. One of the best out there. The 380 has come a long way. Later you can move up to the CM9 etc. Same great trigger. Do a lot of the break in at home. Rack the slide and let the recoil spring take a set, same with magazine springs. Set for 48hrs. Rack slide over and over while watching TV etc. You are going to love this gun. Mild shooting, easy to carry, great defense. Small guns offer a lot of tactical defense that others cannot do on close quarters. I own the P380, CW380 and two CM9's. Never looked back
    CONGRATS!

200 flawless rounds on first day

A few of my Pocket guns

Learn the benefits of the Tactical little pistol

Kahr’s 380 guns are not a defective model per se. Like most small 380 pistols, sometimes they can be problematic out of the box. Go over to the Ruger forum and you’ll read about problems with the new LCP Max. I have an LCP Max with 135 flawless rounds through it so it’s not a defective gun per se. IIRC the early Glock 42 models had a lot of problems.

Many years ago I had a Kahr CW380 that was plagued with return to battery problems. Even a trip back to Kahr didn’t fix it so eventually I gave up on it. However, I liked the platform so much that I later bought a CT380 which has more than 800 flawless rounds through it.

Buying a Kahr 380 is a risk but really no different than the risk you take buying any other small 380. If you get one that runs right the reward is great. Should you have a problem with yours Kahr will take it in for service and likely pay shipping both ways. Alternatively there’s lots of expertise available from members of this forum.

I say go for it.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I own a cw380, and two P380s (one of the P380s is now GFs and a PM9. They are all reliable and great guns. Do the "New Kahr prep" found in the second line at the top of the new member forum and you should not have any trouble. I had some problems in the first 100 rounds with the CW380 and then did the prep procedure. Never a hickup since then. After that I purchased a PM9 and the two P380s and did the prep on them and never had a problem with any of them. They are great guns so never fear, pick it up and go shooting.

I have a P380 that's been perfect. Take a look at Hickock 45's youtube channel and watch his 2 reviews of P380's. He's pretty impressed.

Mark I second what others have said here. You did not say, and I don’t know if you know, just how used the lil Kahr is. If “like new” I would simply follow Dustn’s advice on the “new Kahr prep”, as well as what Bawanna said about cleaning and lubing. If it is already well broken in then that may be not necessary at all. Maybe just the clean & lube. I would not be afraid at all to go ahead with your purchase. It will most likely be the best 380 you’ll ever own (although I will always have a spot in my heart for Sig’s P238, just wish it did not have a thumb safety, which would be impossible). There are good people here that can help you figure out just about anything going on, if ever need be, with just about any Kahr made. As Bawanna stated, you can hear all sorts of bad things about just about any gun as people don’t post up as much about the good times, but will make a bazillion posts about bad times. Happens with every make & model. For those not in the know, they may give Kahr’s a bad rap either due to the recommended break-in (Kahr’s are built tight so that after break in they are not loosey goosey, wobble, rattle guns, and which the “new Kahr prep” can very much shorten) or because they’ve never had a Kahr and their buddy (who also never had a Kahr) bad mouthed Kahr’s, which is usually again about the break in, which again can be shortened.
    By the way, welcome to the forum! I look forward to hearing about how you faced your fears, got the gun and are soooo happy that you did!!!

Quote Originally Posted by markfromminn View Post
    I would love to hear what everybody has to say about the Kahr P380.

My P380 is the only Kahr I've ever owned. I consider it reliable and carry it when I want a pocket gun.

Soon after I first got it, I installed a Lakeline striker, not because of any problems I experienced, but because some folks on the Interwebs thought it was a good idea. Initially I had some failures of sorts. Some were from some ancient reloads using old brass and plated bullets, from about 25 years prior. Those don't really count, because they introduce too many variables. The other failures was to properly eject, and it was only using Fiocchi ammo. I decided the extractor tension was too tight, so I adjusted it conservatively. Since then, I haven't purchased any more Fiocchi ammo for testing. But the gun runs fine with everything else, even junk ammo.

I do NOT like the magazine release button. It sits too far out, and on several occasions I found the magazine released when the gun was in my pocket. I removed the mag release and filed it down so it sits just a hair higher than the grip area. I can understand wanting it sticking way out there for speedy magazine changes, but this ain't no race gun. Speedy magazine changes aren't a thing with the P380.

And talking about magazines, you might want to look into the Magguts magazine upgrades. You get a new follower and springs, and it adds one round to the magazine capacity. I think the Magguts parts are better than Kahr's.

My advice is to run the gun like you would any other to see if it has any weaknesses. Then shoot it like you stole it.