Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop

Thread: Kahr P9, black diamond, or matte stainless?

Question Kahr P9, black diamond, or matte stainless?

Hello everyone. I need some opinions. I want to buy a Kahr P9, but I can't make up my mind, on which finish, I like. The black diamond, or the matte stainless slide. Tell me why your likes and dislikes. Thanks.

That's a tough one. For years and years I would only do black Kahrs. Then I bought a PM45 in two tone and after polishing the slide on the flats just enough to removed the matte finish there I liked it so much I bought a P9 and did the same thing. They are fine looking guns. And just about impervious to scratches and scuffs from holstering and handling.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the two tone as well. The all black models are just a little to bland for me as a matter of preference. I'm actually considering hydro-dipping my S9 frame in adding a print to it. Such as Old Glory or a nice camouflage. That's something you could consider doing to either the slide or the frame if you are interested in such. I've seen some really sharp looking guns with hydro prints on them.

I did a leopard print on a Walther P22 for my daughters a few years ago and it turned out really sharp. I just purchased an all black Remington RM380 and painted the slide and the trigger a metallic gray. A flat clear coat was then applied over it. It turned out really nice as well and looks ever sharper than the image depicts.

IMG_0545.jpgIMG_9102.jpg

Anyhow, it's something to consider. I purchased my S9 strictly on functionality and ccw considerations but I wouldn't mind dressing it up some. What you did to your slide is really sharp DAO!

God Bless,
    Ralph

Black for carry. Stainless for fun. Just my opinion and preference.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Ralph how do those hydro coats hold up over time?

I've always leaned towards the stainless myself. Easy to fix up if it gets dinged a bit and I guess I just like shiny stuff. That being said all the places that say if you want to modify or mess with the frame or slide get the blued or non stainless, much easier to work with.
    Not helping much I guess, I like blued guns too.
    Of course at the PD where I worked everybody wanted dark, didn't even want stainless mags, stealth and nothing shiny. I never subscribed to that myself. Not gonna be flashing my stainless mag around signalling in the street lights if we had street lights.
    Perhaps the best answer is get both and carry depending on your mood?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Ralph how do those hydro coats hold up over time?
    They could last a lifetime but it really depends on usage. It's like the paint job on an automobile. You have a base coat and then a clear coat applied over that. So it will last as long as you are not rubbing it constantly or scratching and abusing it. The finish on the two guns that I did above appears to be very strong. I've done a lot of quality automotive painting over my lifetime (friends/family) so I'm familiar with finishes.

I think you'd be OK even with a daily carry and use of a leather holster. You'd just need to apply a fresh clear coat on it on occasion in order to keep it pristine looking. Which is no biggie. It would be much more difficult to keep the finish perfect with a kydex holster though. That would really depend on the quality of clear you used and how many coats you applied, etc. It would also depend on how tight of a fit your kydex is and where it rubs. The rubbing may not even be noticeable though depending on the pattern. I think the leopard print would have worked perfectly fine with a kydex holster. Because it would have rubbed down to the black polymer frame which would have still matched the pattern. So making it work with a kydex holster is possible. You'd just have to be much more diligent in caring for it -vs- a soft holster.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by oldjarhead View Post
    I need some opinions. I want to buy a Kahr P9, but I can't make up my mind, on which finish, I like. The black diamond, or the matte stainless slide. Tell me why your likes and dislikes. Thanks.
    I don't have a P9, but I do have a K9, black DLC, purchased new a couple of years ago. I specifically searched for a black slide since my intention was to CC the K9. Not at all flashy--but, that's the point.

Oh, and the finish has held up extremely well. (I CC in OWB leather holsters--in either a Kramer horsehide or a lined Mitch Rosen.)

rx7sig

Kramer and Mitch Rosen both make very nice OWB holsters.
    My K40, first Kahr I bought was born all black. But the barrel was peening at the chamber hood. Sent it to Kahr. It was there for awhile so I checked on it and first they got it mixed up as I sent it via the PD, once they figured that out they said the delay was they didn't have a black slide in the repair line and were waiting for one.
    I asked how much to upgrade to a stainless slide, the nice lady said no charge and I got the gun the very next day.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."