Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Kahr P45 grip reduction (I did it!!!)

Default Kahr P45 grip reduction (I did it!!!)

Some of you may recall my previous thread about discovering a crack in the front strap of the frame on a used P45 that I purchased. After contacting Kahr about a replacement frame and finding out it would cost more than I was willing to invest in the gun. I decided that I would attempt to cut away the damaged portion of the frame and effectively shorten the P45 grip to that of a PM45. Well an awesome member of this very forum and an amazing person in general offered to send me a 5rd PM45 mag.

I was not planning on doing this mod right now, but after getting the mag in the mail I just couldn't wait! First thing I did was to measure the mag bodies and figure out the difference in length. Once I knew how much I needed to remove I marked the grip just a little below to give myself a small margin of error. I then broke out the Dremel and a fresh cutting wheel. I went very slow while making the initial cut. Making sure to keep it straight. After cutting the frame, I used a sanding block and 80 grit paper to rough sand it down to where I could just barely get the 5 round mag to lock in place. I then used the Dremel again, this time with a gray wheel to clean up some of the scratches. I then used 2000 grit paper to finish taking it down until the mag was easy to seat and locked in place firmly.

I unfortunately did not take any pictures of the process. But here are a few pictures of the results. The first is the PM45 mag seated. The second shows the original 6 round mag fully seated. And finally, the third shows the bottom of the grip. I still have some clean up to do but overall I'm very pleased by the results. I plan on hitting the range tomorrow and putting some lead down range. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Looks like it worked out great. I round off that bottom edge a bit with file or wood burner, probably look a little cleaner.

Glad it worked out. Was the crack completely eliminated as we anticipated?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Looks like it worked out great. I round off that bottom edge a bit with file or wood burner, probably look a little cleaner.

Glad it worked out. Was the crack completely eliminated as we anticipated?
    Yes sir. It was "just" enough to completely remove the crack! I will be working on cleaning it up a little more as time permits.

You saw it here first folks, the very first P45 Covert. Looks like you did a good job of keeping a straight line and a 90º cut. When you're completely done it will probably look like it came from the factory that way.

That's my plan. Slowly work on it until it looks like it was made that way! Thanks for the encouraging words.

Glad you had the cajones to go ahead with it, as well as to share it with us. I know you are not done, so curious to see what else you do. So far, so good!

I am pleased to report that it shoots! And quite well actually. Myself and both of my sisters shot it today. They were both shocked at how little recoil it had for a 45. Next time I'll run some hollow points through it and see if it's fit for a carry gun. I sure hope so.

Don't see why it shouldn't. My PM45 eats them along with ball. And you have an extra 1/2" in bbl length. Good job! We need pictures when you're done though