Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kydex IWB For P9

Nice choices! The GX4 and RandRholsters iwb are my daily carry. I drive a roll off truck and carry everyday while at work. Climbing in and out of the truck, climbing onto dumpsters to move materials and even crawling under the truck to fix air lines and remove debri from landfills. The holster stays put and is comfortable all day. The DCC clip was a great upgrade for me, but the stock plastic clip worked just fine for the time it was on.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Thanks and thanks for the assist. I was going to get DCC clips but their sight said out of stock. They looked nice and secure and I can swap 'em out later if need be.

Do not purchase an Amberide Universal Mag Carrier for your Kahr single column magazines, it is far too big, both in width and length. My G19 mag almost goes into it. The package states "9mm/.40 Single Stack Mag Carrier", and I know I ordered the right one, but it’s huge. I'm waiting to hear back from Amberide. It’s my belief that their, and many others, “universal” carriers are made to accommodate semi-staggered, so-called, single stacks (like the Sig P365 and Glock 43X) and are far too big for legitimate single column magazines, which will swim in them.

As I’m sure you all know, Kahr Arms, like a 1911, uses a true straight line single column magazine. These roughly measure 15/32" wide in 9mm. My Star BM magazine is the same width and somewhat longer in length than my P9’s. It will start in the P9’s mag well. I continue to search for something closer to the proper size.

With that said, the Amberide Universal Mag Carrier seemed to be a very nice and well made unit. As I'm returning it, I didn't want to handle it too much. However, from what I saw, I wouldn't hesitate to try one for a different pistol magazine, like a Glock or akin.

Two good choices from Vedder holsters. The all kydex "light tuck" or the single clip IWB hybrid "Rapid tuck" holster. For appendix carry I like the Rapid tuck. Vedder holsters come in many color schemes. My Rapid Tuck's kydex is Tiger Stripes, and the leather backing I chose, was horsehide. Comes in regular black leather, if you want it. Great metal clip, that easily adjusts to whatever cant, you want.

Thanks for the tip oldjarhead, I've heard Vedder was a good outfit.

UPDATE: the other day I got a reply from Amberide. They are sending me a mag carrier for a double stack, which is very nice of them. Now, I'm not sure why because my complaint was regarding their single stack unit, however, I'm sure I can find a use for the double stack carrier. Like I said, the carrier seemed to be a very nice and well made unit. Very useful in that it's ambidextrous and IWB/OWB capable. Also, I've decided not to return the single stack unit. There's a gentleman I know who should be able to make use of it and he's done me a few favors. More to follow...

I am thinking of purchasing a zero carry. I know Bird posted something similar a few months ago. Not sure what gun I will try one out with yet.

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    I am thinking of purchasing a zero carry. I know Bird posted something similar a few months ago. Not sure what gun I will try one out with yet.

Looks interesting but … I’m leery of a kydex holster that isn’t molded specifically for the gun being used. If you get one, I’ll be very interested in your review of it.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

@King Rat - I didn't like the looks of their older models. This, apparently new, Elite rig does look interesting. I too would be interested in your review.

(Reference post #25) Amberide sent the double stack carrier. As was their so-called single stack unit, it’s very well made and it fits the G19, S&W 59, etc, mags perfectly.

While continuing my search, I found another, very similar, mag carrier from Armordillo Concealment. After contacting them, I was assured that these were, in fact, made for true single stack magazines à la 1911 style. There's even a pic of one with a Kahr magazine in it on their website. Upon it’s arrival, I gave it a quick exam. It’s a high quality product and noticeable thinner. It’s made to fit up to a .40 S&W caliber and Kahr has, I believe, the smallest 9 mm magazines on the market, so it not exactly a tailor-made fit. Nevertheless, I cranked in the MRD screw quite a bit and voila, it centered up and is snug. Ken is a happy camper.

My personal thoughts on these types of carriers are as follows:
    To be quite honest, I got a Don Hume pouch with the P9 (pic below). This has much less bulk and conceals far better than any kydex, one-size-fits-all, IWB or OWB, ambidextrous mag carrier does, regardless of make. Unfortunately, the Kahr magazine is just a bit loose in the Don Hume though it does work. My Star BM mag fits perfectly, so the DH won't go to waste. Therefore, IMO, don’t overlook the old leather pouch style carriers for comfort and concealability, especially where a single stack mag is concerned.

I seldom carry a extra mag but when I do it is usually in a Remora, just slip it into a back pocket.

Also stick holster has a nice one.
    I am going to order this little guy today. Can use it for all kinds of things, like my flashlight when hunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyK7...StickyHolsters