CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr P380

Default Kahr P380

I am new to the forum, and previously made a post saying I had just purchased a Kahr P380 that I hadn't yet picked up.

I picked it up a few days ago. My first outing was not only the first time shooting a Kahr, but my first time shooting in a few years. I didn't quite have my mechanics down. There were several malfunctions - FTF, FTE, Stovepipes. My next outing was today and I began to grip the pistol very tight. It can be a bit hard to do with how small it is. But I gripped it very tight. That seemed to eliminate the malfunctions.

Yes, a firm solid grip usually makes for a more harmonious outcome.
    My PM45 ejects pretty consistently unless I get sloppy, then it puts them right in my forehead, like a wake up call.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

That’s good news. You do need a firm grip on these little pistols. After it’s fully broken in it may be more forgiving.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    …..After it’s fully broken in it may be more forgiving.
    What Davis said right here…
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Like all small guns, micro 9mm and 380's as well as other guns you need a strong firm grip. That said, I find the Kahr 380 to be especially Mild shooting as far a recoil and control. I do believe the number one issue in most failures to be from limp wresting. Seen it so many times over the years and people insist that he is the gun.

I bought a P380 a few years ago. Kept having FTE issues, so I sent it back to Kahr. The nice people there "fitted" the extractor and now the gun shoots great.
    And I have to agree its the most mild shooting small 380 I have ever shot.

I’ve had the PM9 for about 12 years now and a p380 only a couple years. I’ve found I have a problem with bumping the slide release with my right thumb causing the slide to lock back. Does anyone have this issue?

I’ve not had that issue.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I also really try to strangle it, but that's just me - mostly to keep the sight from moving when pulling the trigger. As far as function, the main thing, imo, is keeping the wrist stiff which is not the same thing. You can grip softly and have a totally stiff wrist. You can choke the daylights out of it and the wrist might still move. Old cop showed me to grip the finger of my off hand to teach my wrist to lock without squeezing the finger. Try it.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
    I also really try to strangle it, but that's just me - mostly to keep the sight from moving when pulling the trigger. As far as function, the main thing, imo, is keeping the wrist stiff which is not the same thing. You can grip softly and have a totally stiff wrist. You can choke the daylights out of it and the wrist might still move. Old cop showed me to grip the finger of my off hand to teach my wrist to lock without squeezing the finger. Try it.

I agree, however I just use a firm grip. Not limp wristing is a combination of all the factors that go into perfect control. Trigger, wrist, etc. Shoot them often enough and it just becomes natural. You want to control the muzzle flip. I saw this many times over the years with Newbies shooting the Beretta Nano. Long trigger, short barrel. Many complaints that they would fail when actually it was Limp wresting. Beretta recommended 124 gr
    ammo. I suspect that was because the heavier bullet would not have as much muzzle flip, but push the recoil back into the hand. I never had any issues with the gun from the beginning with 115 gr, but would let others shoot it and they would limp wrist.
    I have owned a Ruger LCR9mm since they first came out. A gun I love to shoot. On the internet, many would complain that the gun would jump crimp. That is total hogwash. I never had a issue of crimp jump except when new and I was using Some cheap crappy range reloads. If the gun is limp wrested, then yes, it can happen. The best firearm I have for training for perfect control and a great aid in learning point and shoot skills is the Ruger LCR22.cal (My favorite Plinker and trainer) Learn to shoot that gun well and you can shoot any gun well.

Kahr 380 is a marvel of enginnering. They do have a heavy recoil spring that IMO does a fine job of controlling Recoil, and muzzle flip. (of course proper gun handling is still required.)