Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW9 8 Round Magazine: Why does it have 2 springs and a leather buffer?

Default Kahr CW9 8 Round Magazine: Why does it have 2 springs and a leather buffer?

Hi, I disassembled my Kahr CW9 mag and noticed that there are 2 springs inside and they are connected by a piece of leather as a buffer between them. I was pretty shocked to discover this and haven't trusted the magazine ever since. I haven't had any reliability issues with it, but it seems like a Rube Goldberg design. I've been thinking about ordering a replacement mag spring which appears to a one solid piece. Have any of you guys encountered the leather buffer setup like this? Have they been reliable for you? I wonder if Kahr will replace it for free in my case.

I have not seen or heard of it. There are a few here that are much more in the know than myself though, so maybe someone else here has seen that. Doesn’t sound factory if you ask me. Might be a bit more Bubba than Rube Goldberg.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    Might be a bit more Bubba than Rube Goldberg.
    Bubba Goldberg!

I would just buy a Wolff (gunsprings) mag spring:
    Springs for ALL MODELS Semi-Auto Pistols (gunsprings.com)
    I have replaced all my Kahr mag springs with these, all +5%xp
    A pack of 3 springs is $17.29 +tax/shipping.
    jmo,
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

^^^^What he said... it is my understanding that Kahr springs are made by Wolff so you can't go wrong. I've never heard of the double spring/leather set up. I agree with Bird, don't sound like a factory set up to me.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    ^^^^What he said... it is my understanding that Kahr springs are made by Wolff so you can't go wrong. I've never heard of the double spring/leather set up. I agree with Bird, don't sound like a factory set up to me.
    The Wolff spring is on the way. It was also a bit cheaper than the spring on the official Kahr site.

You didn't buy this gun new did you?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I’m wondering if it had a plastic or metal follower? Maybe somebody did some kind of hodgepodge setup with magguts springs or something. If I remember right the magguts changes the CW9 mag from 7 to 8 rounds.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    I’m wondering if it had a plastic or metal follower? Maybe somebody did some kind of hodgepodge setup with magguts springs or something. If I remember right the magguts changes the CW9 mag from 7 to 8 rounds.
    It appears to have a stock kahr plastic follower.

Curiosity led me to my Kahr 9-8 mags... nope, just a one-piece spring.

I wonder... that last round or two can be a bear to load, I wonder if someone tried to cut a coil or 3 to ease the loading effort... and then had problems.

Putting it back together... I'll tell you what... that's a LOT of spring to stuff back up in that body!