Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Followers for smoother feeding

Quote Originally Posted by Tilos View Post
    Here's a recent thread about bullet setback with a Kahr:<br>
    <br>
    <a href="https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/is-this-safe-to-shoot-in-your-opinion.906759/" target="_blank">Is this safe to shoot in your opinion? | The High Road</a><br>
    <br>
    Yes, from multiple re-chamberings, there are others, it's more common than you realize.<br>
    just sayin'<br>
    Oh I'm sure it happens. But it isn't a given. Not even in the Kahrs. Have you ever bothered to actually measure setback from multiple chamberings in your Kahr? I have, and I guess I don't know how many times a round has to be chambered for it to set back, but it's more than several. I guess...unless there is a poorly manufactured round?

At any rate, I have never in the 25 years I've been shooting Kahrs had a problem with that first round loading without jamming. Yeah, I can induce the jam deliberately, but never had it happen without my causing it by cycling that first round in a manner other than outlined in the manual. I can say the same for all of my centerfire single stack pistols. As for the worrisome first round that has been chambered and then ejected without firing......If you did that every day and tossed that round into a bucket, you'd have 365 practice rounds per year with your chosen carry round. Not a bad idea to use those for training or just verifying reliability in a new gun or mag. If you can't afford that, you have the option of chambering the first round from a single-loaded mag (as I always do for any pistol when I want it topped off - just because it's easier) but then, you get to worry about bullets pulling out.

To me, this all adds up to much ado about nothing. My primary carry stays loaded pretty much all the time and goes into the safe if I'm not wearing it.

Now, your mag base plates, OTOH.....that's something to worry about. Those plastic base plates on your seven round mags are gonna let go eventually and spill all of your rounds in the dirt. Ask me how I know. I'd be changing those out to the steel plates before worrying about the followers. (all my followers are original, BTW)

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Why would you keep chambering the same bullet anyway Sound like idiots to me? Nothing better to do than to keep chambering the same bullet?
    Indeed. I've only done it to test the theory.

OK,
    Most self-defense ammo comes 20 rounds per box and is not cheap, if you didn't shoot any of it, you would be reloading a round for the second time after only 20 days.

Bullet setback is a mechanical thing, with the bullet bumping the ramp with the force of the recoil spring.
    Bullet pull-out is an inertia thing, way different from setback, in my opinion.

I might be an idiot then, as I mentioned, I too use the chambering from a magazine with a single round to avoid set-back and will continue with that.

And with that one-round in a mag I can ride the slide all the way closed with no chance of bullet setback OR bullet pull-out.
    Just to be clear, I am not condoning any other methods posted here, ride your own ride...
    jmo,
    Last edited by Tilos; 06-25-2022 at 12:00 PM.
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

^That's a sure fire system to avoid any trouble.

I don't buy anything but premium ammo for carry, and although I've tested and measured several rechamberings on individuals of those rounds, I have seen no measurable setback or pull out using my digital caliper. I suspect that if someone is seeing it happen in a couple of chamberings it's probably not the best ammo, but I've never verified that. Ironically, I can guarantee that my reloads won't set back with dozens of rechamberings. But I don't carry reloads outside of the shooting range, so that's kind of irrelevant.