Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel Ammo Banned For Shooting Range

Default Steel Ammo Banned For Shooting Range

Why do shooting ranges ban steel ammo?

I can't vouch for the validity of the reasons, but in another forum they mention that steel case ammo:

1. often has a jacket comprised of multiple layers of copper and steel, being harder on the steel trap and potentially a fire hazard from sparking
    2. potentially can spark off of the ground when extracted which could ignite unburnt powder residue
    3. ranges don't want to separate the steel from brass when they collect them for reloading

Additionally, some mention that steel case ammo (and relative steel/copper jacket) can cause increased wear on extractors and barrels.

The indoor range I spent the most time at was in MN (when I lived there). I brought a cousin there that exclusively fired Wolf steel cased ammo in his Walther (plastic model) that he said he never had an issue with. The range would't allow him to shoot the ammo in their rental guns. Interestingly enough, the first round of Wolf (his personal ammo) he chambered in his Walther at that range got stuck in the chamber and the RSO had to wack the slide open with the live round inside.

IMHO, if you shoot that stuff in your handgun, you have no respect for the firearm.

No steel ammo has ever entered any of my firearms. If I had an AK or SKS or similar Russian rifle, I might consider it but even then probably not.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Just to be clear, are you speaking of steel core, or steel cased?
    NRA Benefactor

Every range I frequent in Minneapolis allows steel case ammunition. They want to look at your ammunition because of steel core and be certain that you are not shooting aluminum case ammunition. Steel case is simple as they just use a late roller magnet. The aluminum has to be pulled by hand.

The local indoor ranges have issues with the backstops being torn up by steel, so a couple have put in sand traps in front of the backstop but the shooters kept rapid fire shooting and going over the sand, chewing up the steel backstop so they pulled the sand, no more steel bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott321 View Post
    ranges don't want to separate the steel from brass when they collect them for reloading.
    For this exact reason here just like any business, if they can't make any money from it they want to have nothing to do with it.
    I have shot many of rds of steel & alluminum cased ammo through everything i have ever owned at 1 time or another zero issues along the way.
    Not saying i have shot thousands of rds through each but i have used steel cased ammo.
    Have used more alluminum than steel over the yrs when the price is right you take full advantage of that.
    When i do go to a range i pre load all my mags at home so when i get in my lane its go time & if there is steel, alluminum or brass they get it all.
    BOB

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    No steel ammo has ever entered any of my firearms. If I had an AK or SKS or similar Russian rifle, I might consider it but even then probably not.
    I have been in disagreement with Bawanna many times on this forum in regards to steel case ammo. I have shot thousands of rounds out of pistols, especially one particular gun. However, I will now admit to being WRONG. I will never shoot Steel case ammo again out of a Pistol again.

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    I have been in disagreement with Bawanna many times on this forum in regards to steel case ammo. I have shot thousands of rounds out of pistols, especially one particular gun. However, I will now admit to being WRONG. I will never shoot Steel case ammo again out of a Pistol again.
    OK, why the change of heart. Damage your favorite gun? If such is the case I'm sorry for your loss.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."