Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steel Ammo Banned For Shooting Range

We have a local indoor range that will not allow steel-core ammo as they use a Savage Range system which is a nautilus type structure that slows the bullets; They say the steel can penetrate or severely damage the recovery system. The indoor club I belong to has banned its use because the back stop is Armor Plate from a ship held at an angle of about 45*; the steel cored stuff has caused damage to the back stop. A friend of mines is a certified structural welder, he was able to fill the voids in the backstop. Another club I belong to has no steel backstop only berm and they don't care what you shoot. I have a bunch of steel core 7.62x25 Polish and Bulgarian ammo, it works great in the satellite designed pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    OK, why the change of heart. Damage your favorite gun? If such is the case I'm sorry for your loss.
    While I would always have extraction failure at around the 200 rd mark, it was no big deal, as I would just quickly clean the gun. They I started getting many failures. Now this was a gun that ran like a top. I finally figured out the steel case would leave a hardened residue in the chamber. I figured this out and started to do all kinds of polishing to remove it. A lot of this residue did not show up. However the hard work paid off and the gun is back to running great. Not worth the trouble to use steel case ammo.