Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P45 Magazine won't load more than 2 or 3 rounds then ammo nosedives?

Default P45 Magazine won't load more than 2 or 3 rounds then ammo nosedives?

Hi, I just got my p45 back from the mothership (for the second time), and one of the magazines is being quite odd. Not always, but often it won't it is extremely hard to load after the second round. Then the ammo just kind of floats down in the magazine with space at the top. I have to hit it upside down on a surface to get the rounds reoriented. Is this something I can fix at home? I think these 45 mags are pretty finicky compared to the 9mm! I've seen something sort of similar trying to load ruger mk 3 mags.

Have you cleaned the mag since you bought it? Kahr uses some preservative that gets quite sticky as it ages. I would take it apart, clean it, and make sure that the spring is oriented correctly along with the other parts.

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Have you cleaned the mag since you bought it? Kahr uses some preservative that gets quite sticky as it ages. I would take it apart, clean it, and make sure that the spring is oriented correctly along with the other parts.
    That's a good question. It's at least 10 years old. A few months ago I sent it back to Kahr and they replaced all the internals of the magazines. You would thiiiink they would clean it while they were at it. I'll try that and keep you posted. For now my thumbs are too cut up from those mag feed lips. I guess I should polish those with some fine sandpaper, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by dubious_79 View Post
    That's a good question. It's at least 10 years old. A few months ago I sent it back to Kahr and they replaced all the internals of the magazines. You would thiiiink they would clean it while they were at it. I'll try that and keep you posted. For now my thumbs are too cut up from those mag feed lips. I guess I should polish those with some fine sandpaper, eh?

Yep on the sandpaper. It will feed into the chamber smoother then too. I did that to mine.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Get yourself a Maglula mag loader. Saves the fingers for shooting.

FYI - 1911 Officer mags should work in your P45, maybe needs minor mods that will get you 7+1 , I like the Wilson Combat Extended Officer mags for 8+1 in my P45/TP45.

P45MAG.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pk1313 View Post
    FYI - 1911 Officer mags should work in your P45, maybe needs minor mods that will get you 7+1 , I like the Wilson Combat Extended Officer mags for 8+1 in my P45/TP45.

P45MAG.jpg

I tried a wilson combat officer mag and it didn't fully seat. I guess I would have to use a Kahr follower in my gun?

The officer mag is shorter than the full size. Might not be long enough for the P. It sort of works in my PM45.
    The full size mags seem to work better for some reason. Many do use the kahr follower with some success.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

dubious_79,
    I'd check to see if the follower and spring in the problematic magazine are oriented properly to each other (shown below)

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Greg, good to hear from you again, I was beginning to think the wolves et ya!