Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Magnum Research new

Thread: CW380 Slide Stop Functionality Question

Default CW380 Slide Stop Functionality Question

Hello all,

New to the forum but not to Kahr - CM9 is my primary carry at this point in time.

Just purchased a CW380 after lusting for one for a while. Got the Black Carbon Fiber finish frame, which I think looks pretty sharp.

I havent had a chance to fire it yet, but I've noticed something with this firearm that I havent noticed with others just by cleaning/manipulating it - if the slide is locked back and I pull it back with no mag inserted, the slide stop doesnt automatically lower/release to allow the slide to drop.

To be clear, the slide stop works on an empty mag and will lock the slide back. But when i remove the mag and put rearward pressure on the locked back slide (a common process for me to release a slide), the slide stop stays in place and the slide will stay locked back. The only way for me to release the slide from being locked back is to push down the slide stop.

Is that by design or just a limitation of its size? I thought maybe it was a Kahr thing that I somehow forgot about but verified that it's not that way with my CM9...

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroCool View Post
    Hello all,

New to the forum but not to Kahr - CM9 is my primary carry at this point in time.

Just purchased a CW380 after lusting for one for a while. Got the Black Carbon Fiber finish frame, which I think looks pretty sharp.

I havent had a chance to fire it yet, but I've noticed something with this firearm that I havent noticed with others just by cleaning/manipulating it - if the slide is locked back and I pull it back with no mag inserted, the slide stop doesnt automatically lower/release to allow the slide to drop.

To be clear, the slide stop works on an empty mag and will lock the slide back. But when i remove the mag and put rearward pressure on the locked back slide (a common process for me to release a slide), the slide stop stays in place and the slide will stay locked back. The only way for me to release the slide from being locked back is to push down the slide stop.

Is that by design or just a limitation of its size? I thought maybe it was a Kahr thing that I somehow forgot about but verified that it's not that way with my CM9...
    Welcome to the forums

As to the slide stop: my first thought would be to check the condition of the slide stop spring and verify that the spring leg is over the slide stop when installing the stop. There are photos that shows both those conditions here: https://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?34638-having-issues-with-my-cm9&p=439204#post439204

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

An empty mag follower will push up the slide stop. This is what causes the slide to lock back when the mag is empty. If you have the slide locked back and an empty mag inserted it is still pushing up the slide stop. Just pulling it back will not unlock it. Put a bullet in the mag and the follower will not be pushing up the slide stop and just pulling back the slide will allow the little spring on the frame to push the slide stop down and allow the slide to close. Dan