Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P380 Buffalo Bore problem

New to me P380 that I bought used did not look like it had been shot much, so I did the recommended (on here) protocol. All of it, including filing down a magazine follower that would catch.

My first time shooting over the weekend it ran flawlessly with the PMC full metal jacket, Hornady Critical Defense, and Lehigh Extreme Defender 68 grain (the Lehigh is the same bullet as the Underwood Extreme Defender, but Wilson Combat bought the company). The Extreme Defender will be my choice for carry after watching gel tests on Youtube.

Thanks to all who did the the work and posts on this forum about preparing a Kahr pistol to shoot well!

Congrats on your purchase. Happy to hear it ran flawlessly for you.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

FWIW, I have found Hornady Critical Defense to be a great choice for micro guns that are ammo picky. Luckygunner labs shows it gives moderate but consistent expansion and good penetration.

I have a stash of Hornady XTPs, which has been a go-to for some time. It runs in all my .380s, and it's an investment stocking up in a given brand.
    There's always a latest/greatest .380 ammo, attempting to upgrade its marginal nature. I'll be watching for a real test of the crazy Phillips head ammo.
    Bottom line; with a little gun, and a limited number of rounds, it's reliability uber alles. Better a bang with a FMJ than an Ooooops with a death ray round.
    Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoonclip View Post
    Better a bang with a FMJ than an Ooooops with a death ray round.
    Moon
    Agreed. Now only carry fmj in my pocket 380. Cheap to practice with too.

When I must carry .380 I have a Beretta Pico which has never had a problem with any ammo I’ve tried through it but previously I’ve owned a couple Ruger LCP’s which were ammo sensitive but both would function with Hornady Critical Defense and I did some redneck testing using 15 inches of wet newspaper for a test medium and everything fired into it went at least 10 inches so getting shot with a .380 round of whatever brand would totally mess up your day…….If you carry a .380 I would chamber the first round in the hot round you want because it’s going to fire so aim well and for the rest I’d load FMJ rounds to be sure they feed right……..380 ain’t the best but any gun is better than no gun…..

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    When I must carry .380 I have a Beretta Pico which has never had a problem with any ammo I’ve tried through it but previously I’ve owned a couple Ruger LCP’s which were ammo sensitive but both would function with Hornady Critical Defense and I did some redneck testing using 15 inches of wet newspaper for a test medium and everything fired into it went at least 10 inches so getting shot with a .380 round of whatever brand would totally mess up your day…….If you carry a .380 I would chamber the first round in the hot round you want because it’s going to fire so aim well and for the rest I’d load FMJ rounds to be sure they feed right……..380 ain’t the best but any gun is better than no gun…..
    I have three Pico's two Kahr's in 380, 1 LCP (have owned many LCP's). I buy PrecisionOne XTP PLUS in bulk. Great 380 ballistics. very mild to shoot and for me, the most accurate of all the ammo I have shot.Totally reliable in All.

*note: do not shoot Plus P in LCP. Kahr-Pico no problem. Use standard in LCP.

I am now carrying the Federal HST Tactical. The first .380 to ever meet the FBI protocol. I love it and it has been 100% reliable. Hot round (not officially +P but almost), 99 grain hollow point, rounded bullet (feeds better for me), nickel plated case, sealant on bullet and primer. Dan