Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Xssights

Thread: .45 Colt Desert Eagle

Default .45 Colt Desert Eagle

So something I was looking at the other day. It seems like it would be very easy to make a Desert Eagle that could shoot the .45 Colt +P Ruger only loads. The case length and the rim are the same as the 50ae and the 44mag.

I agree itís a neat idea, but not without issues. From a business standpoint itís likely a non-starter.

Yes, the .45 Colt would work with the standard .44 Mag bolt and magazines (I just checked). But the vast majority of factory ammo is the issue. As you note, it would require .45+P level loads. Outside of a couple boutique ammo manufacturers, most all .45 Colt ammo is going to be loaded to standard pressure levels, and will feature a plain lead bullet. Both of which are issues with the DE.

Having said that, anything is possible if you want to throw enough money at it. You could likely ream out then cut new rifling in a .44 barrel, as well as to cut a new .45 chamber. You would have to figure how to keep metal chips out of the gas system while this is happening.

At the end of it all, you will have something that effectively duplicates what the .44 Mag was already doing for you.

But itís still a fun exercise to think about.