Xssights   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop

Thread: 10rd Magazine for TP9?

Question 10rd Magazine for TP9?

I need a 10 round magazine for a TP9. Kahr website only offers 10 round magazines for K9/E9/P9 sized pistols. IDPA updated/revised their rules this past spring. Concealed Carry Pistol Division previously restricted magazine capacity to 8 rounds. Rules now permit using 10 round magazines.

I shoot a TP9. For the T9/TP9 sized pistols, 8 round magazines are all that Kahr offers. To be competitive I need the additional two rounds of magazine capacity. IDPA restricts scenario stage design to 18 rounds maximum. Using 8 round magazines and starting with one in the pipe, I'm one round short to finish an 18 round stage without a second reload. That's not good. Does anybody know if there is some combination of base plates and the ten round magazine tube that make the 10 round magazines work well in a TP9?

If one takes the base plate from an 8 round TP9 magazine and puts it on the 10 round magazine, it leaves an unsightly gap between the base plate and the grip. Also, when one slams a fast reload, without a base plate acting as a stop to prevent over insertion of the magazine, I suspect the magazine will be stopped by hitting the underside of the ejector. That might become a problem.

I'm familiar with the new IDPA rules as a S.O. so here it goes; if TP9 is a single stack, any +1 or 2 base plates (if made) MAY NOT fit the CCP "box" if your planning to shoot tier 2 or above matches, tier 1, no problems. a new rule now allows a shooter to leave a EMPTY MAG behind during a course of fire w/o being at slide lock; may I suggest that during the stage walk thrus you focus where you can reload while on the move w/o being at slide lock, learn to count rounds/hits on target to your advantage ie: I shoot BUG and will sometimes to put a extra hit(5 hits on two) to be able to reload on the move and have 7rds. in the gun. not a expert but something to think about. TIP: a rubber O ring from the hardware store slid over the mag can stop over insertion.

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELIEVER

[QUOTE=bugs;432245]I'm familiar with the new IDPA rules as a S.O. so here it goes; if TP9 is a single stack, any +1 or 2 base plates (if made) MAY NOT fit the CCP "box" if your planning to shoot tier 2 or above matches, tier 1, no problems. a new rule now allows a shooter to leave a EMPTY MAG behind during a course of fire w/o being at slide lock; may I suggest that during the stage walk thrus you focus where you can reload while on the move w/o being at slide lock, learn to count rounds/hits on target to your advantage ie: I shoot BUG and will sometimes to put a extra hit(5 hits on two) to be able to reload on the move and have 7rds. in the gun. not a expert but something to think about. TIP: a rubber O ring from the hardware store slid over the mag can stop over insertion.

Good Information. Thank you. At this point I'm a Tier 1 only competitor. Time required to make an extra reload is tough overcome. The O-Ring to prevent over insertion is a very good idea. Much appreciated.

Default Modify the base plate yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by thinman View Post
    I need a 10 round magazine for a TP9. Kahr website only offers 10 round magazines for K9/E9/P9 sized pistols. IDPA updated/revised their rules this past spring. Concealed Carry Pistol Division previously restricted magazine capacity to 8 rounds. Rules now permit using 10 round magazines.

I shoot a TP9. For the T9/TP9 sized pistols, 8 round magazines are all that Kahr offers. To be competitive I need the additional two rounds of magazine capacity. IDPA restricts scenario stage design to 18 rounds maximum. Using 8 round magazines and starting with one in the pipe, I'm one round short to finish an 18 round stage without a second reload. That's not good. Does anybody know if there is some combination of base plates and the ten round magazine tube that make the 10 round magazines work well in a TP9?

If one takes the base plate from an 8 round TP9 magazine and puts it on the 10 round magazine, it leaves an unsightly gap between the base plate and the grip. Also, when one slams a fast reload, without a base plate acting as a stop to prevent over insertion of the magazine, I suspect the magazine will be stopped by hitting the underside of the ejector. That might become a problem.
    This is what I would try.

I would take a 10 round magazine and attach the base plate of an 8 round TP9 magazine.
    I would gently insert the magazine into the gun, and then coat the exposed bottom of the baseplate with molten candle wax, and let it quickly cool and harden.
    I would then remove the magazine, and the base plate from it, and clean it really well (or replace it with a clean base plate.

Put the clean base plate back on the magazine, and the magazine back in the gun.

Then, I would use hand-moldable epoxy paste to extend the base plate up until it almost reaches the frame of the gun.
    (Keep the epoxy paste off the back of the magazine -- you need to be able to slide the extended base plate off the magazine for cleaning.
    Make the epoxy paste thick enough to be strong, so it's as thick as the grip on the sides and front.

Remove the magazine. Remove the base plate whose height has now been extended by the epoxy paste.
    (If it's sticking because of the wax, heat it up, maybe in boiling water to soften the wax.

With the base plate off, scrape the remaining wax off the base plate and the magazine.
    You how have a base plate for the 10-round magazine that prevents you from shoving the magazine too far into your TP-9.

Acra Glas Gel would work perfect for that plan. You can use the release agent instead of the wax. Might have an issue sliding it off if the magazine is slightly larger up at the feed lips creating a mechanical lock.

Even comes with black or brown (both if you buy the kit) to try and match the grip color.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."