Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires, what's your favorite

Default Tires, what's your favorite

Well, .... since it's been so quite around these parts. How about a discussion on automobile tires.

My current car, a 2017 OEM tires have reached there end of life. I am shopping for a new set. I have always been partial to Michelins for two reasons.
    They are great tires, and usually have less road noise, plus Michelin has a large mfg. presence here in South Carolina. Shopping local etc..

So I am leaning towards a new set of Michelins. But....there are several brands I never heard of that are half the price.

Any comments or thoughts?
    NRA Benefactor

I do my research on Consumer Reports. I've been using Michelins for 30 years or so. Even when they aren't the top rated, they are up there and consistent in the performance that I want.

I have a full-sized AWD GMC Savana van and need snow and sand traction... Florida and SW Colorado mountains in the Winter.

I use 5 alloy wheels and 5-wheel rotation to get more use out of the spare. My original spare was unused and "like new" but obviously weakened by oxidation and being under the van for 14 years, but looked good.

I replaced my tires April last year as they were approaching the end of the warranty period, but still looked great at 53 months and 49,444 miles in use. The van was at 121, 344 miles.

We finally got to travel last May and June after 2 1/2 years staying at home for COVID and then my triple bypass operation in December last year... the day we had planned to leave on our Christmas trip out to SW CO.

My current tires are Michelin Defenders 235/75R16 112T D LTX and I'm not going to replace them with any cheapies. I get my tires done at Sam's Club and they have good prices, can have sales and discounts, and their road hazard warranty is great with free rotation and balancing. $20 a tire for 5 tires installation and the warranty, so I still come in under $1,000... $925 for these last 5. I'm happy and feel safe whizzing down the road at 15 to 20 over the limit when it's safe.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Just put a set of Michelins on the wife’s 2017 Accord.
    Probably do the same for my 2019 Civic, but it still has less than 10,000 on the clock so I may not live that long.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

My wife's 2018 Subaru Forester has Yokohamas on it and only just over 23K miles... around town driving. We've had two flats and both times the nail was in or too close to the sidewall, so we had to replace them at $200 or so each. I'll replace them before 6 years for sure, and will see what's available and recommended by Consumer Reports.
    There is some concern over uneven circumference on the tires with AWD. I've asked that question every time at the dealership, too.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2

Cooper .... been using them on my Nissan 4X4's for the last 30 years

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

I've used Michelins on several cars and on my last GMC truck.

I've also used Generals on my last Jeep with great success. BF Goodrich also makes a great truck tire.

Only OEM tires that I'd ever consider replacing with the same tires are the Falken's on my current Jeep. Really like these tires.

Have always had michelin on my jeep but last year had to buy some new tires and didn't want to spend that much as i wasn't sure how much longer i was going to keep it (2012). I got some yokohoma geolanders and really like them a lot. Quiet/smooth on the highway and ran through the sand at the obx as well as what little snow we got last year with no problem.
    "If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Depends on what I'm putting tires on. My wife's car, a 2019 Subaru, has two sets of shoes. The stock Goodyears that I can't wait to get rid of and go with Michelins for the non-snowy months, and a set of Michelin XIce on steel rims for the snowy months. My 01 Chevy 2500HD 4wd wear BFG KO2s during the snowy months and some Nexens, or something like that, that came on a used set of rims for the non-snowy times. My 00 Blazer has BFG KO2s and is used primarily for hunting, fishing, winter, and my 01 Chevy 1500 2wd, which is only driven during the non-snowy times, has the cheapest tires I could find that weren't used. Can't remember what brand they are but they seem to be doing the job.

Wife’s GMC Yukon has 275/55/20 Michelin LTX M/S and she won’t have anything but Michelins which are quite spendy but worth the money because your tires are what stop your car, not the brakes and if you maintain air pressure and rotate them every 10 thousand miles they will go the distance…..

For my 1500 Silverado 4x4 I’m on my 4th set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO tires and I love them, never had a flat and they handle like race tires in the rain and the winter weather we get in Georgia and are really good off road in the sticky mud we have here……Bridgestone has two types of Duelers and the non REVO tires are standard factory equipment on many SUV’s and 4x4 light trucks and are nowhere near as good as the more expensive Dueler REVO tires which are fantastic in bad weather but less expensive than BFG T/A all terrains and work better all around for daily driving with less noise but the BFG’s are famous and equally good if you don’t mind paying lots more for the name…..