Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace

Thread: New PM9 at the range

Default New PM9 at the range

After much deliberation and poring through many helpful posts here, I purchased a new PM9 -- the 9093A model with two mags. I bought an additional magazine and added a Pearce pinky extension which I then ground down to about 1/3 the size. Giving me one stock mag with metal baseplate, one modified Pearce, and one 7-round.

I also added three layers of bicycle tire tube to the grip, building it up a little more toward the butt end and creating a little bit of natural texturing on the front where the rubber bunched up just a tad. The felt improvement to grip and comfort was immense.

I performed the recommended clean-n-lube then spent a couple of weeks cycling snap caps and dry-firing. Started the 500-slide-rack trick but probably didn't get past 50.

Finally got to the range yesterday along with another brand-new pistol -- a Sig SP2022 that I impulse-bought out of nostalgia for the P226 I sold in the 90's and have missed ever since. I was fully prepared for the break-in headaches that the internet tells me are inevitable with small Kahrs, especially with the 115gr range-grade ammo (CCI Blazer) I was mostly using.

And... nothing. Not a single problem. I shot about 100 rounds of the CCI and another 20-30 hollowpoints, using all three magazines, without a single hiccup of any kind. The real kicker? The Sig (also freshly cleaned and lubed), by all accounts an exceptionally reliable, overbuilt design, suffered about 10 FTFs in the first few mags. It just did not want to cycle at first! Then it smoothed out and performed as flawlessly as the Kahr.

Of the three mags, I shot the one with the modified Pearce most accurately. Seemed to shoot a little high with the stock 6-rounder, for some reason. I had zero problems controlling it with a two-finger grip, but the different use of my finger muscles compared with the three-finger grips resulted in high shots somehow.

Overall, starting about 10 yards out the Kahr was noticeably less accurate than the Sig, which shouldn't be a surprise. But at 5-7 yards I was putting everything in a five-inch radius or so at a medium pace.

The trigger pull was delightfully glassy and the perfect weight, though, yes, the break is slightly too far back for my medium-size fingers. And it was a sweet shooter even with defensive ammo -- no appreciable difference in recoil or muzzle flip from the much larger and heavier Sig. Slightly LESS sharp, I would say, than my Glock 19 or the P365 I rented last time I was at the range.

Cleaned the PM9 after and takedown was already much lower-effort after just one range session. Overall I'm very impressed with the quality and performance of this firearm.

Welcome and glad all went well for you. Kahr 9mm’s are good pistols. I have 3 of them and they all have ran well from the beginning. The PM9 is a perfect pocket pistol also. You won’t find a smaller and lighter 9mm for pocket carry if you like it.

I have a pierce grip extension on one of my mags and like it when I carry it IWB.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Congrats OP, and welcome to the cult LOL!

Mine has functioned reliably since day one as well, though I did the 500 dry fires and slide racks as it was the pandemic then and I had nothing better to do with all the local ranges closed. I have a Hogue grip on mine, which made all the difference for me.

I'm also running the MagGuts followers for 7+1 flush and 8+1 extended, and they've been perfect for me except with my Pearce base plate for some unknown reason, maybe just this particular base plate etc (it just wouldn't lock the slide back with the Pearce, otherwise ok, though all is fine with the factory or Lakeline base plates and the MagGuts followers)?

https://magguts.com

I run mine with a now sadly discontinued LaserMax Centerfire laser as well, 20oz loaded with laser, perfect for IWB or pocket IMO.

10yds is nothing for the PM9, and I practice out to 15yds regularly with great results, so you just need practice with the trigger, and for longer ranges like 25yds try to learn to stage the long trigger.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by djd100; 10-19-2022 at 06:10 PM.

Great first time at the range. Hope you don't get hit with the Kahr bug. I started out with a PM9, now own: PM9, CW380, PM45, T9, MK9 and finally my favorite a K9.
    NRA Benefactor

Renton, WA, (King County) 25 miles from Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    Great first time at the range. Hope you don't get hit with the Kahr bug. I started out with a PM9, now own: PM9, CW380, PM45, T9, MK9 and finally my favorite a K9.
    Yeah, me too...found a used PM9 at one of my LGS's and snapped it up at $330. A CW45 quickly followed then I got smart and snapped up a K9 Elite 98. Next up will be a K40 if I can find one locally...stay tuned...Meanwhile, a MK45 is my dream gun.

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    Tht PM45 is nice. I got mine on deep discount a few years ago for $350 with 3 mags. I couldn’t pass it up. Don’t shoot it much though.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Scarpia View Post
    meanwhile, a MK45 is my dream gun.
    Amen to that. My MK40N is my favorite of the eight Kahrs I've owned, but I favor the 45 ACP.

Great first time at the range. Hope you don't get hit with the Kahr bug.
    Yes, I want a P380 now...