Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Naughty November

Summer of ‘83, we still used punch cards in our Fotran class too.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Haaaa....your problem is you were born to late, they didn't even have computers when I was in school.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Nor I. I had a typing class which helped immensely when they forced me to work with a keyboard, but no computers in school.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I took computer science in college in 1969 and their computer was an IBM 360 with punchcard input. We typed our own program cards. If we had had personal computers back then, I would have probably stayed with that as my major. I took a break in early 1970 and worked in a banK in the data processing department... mainly processing the payment cards through a card reader. I learned why you don't fold, spindle, or mutilate payment cards... or put tape on the cards! What fun it was to try to balance the totals with all of that taking place. I quit after 6 months and went back to college. Programmers were starting at only about $500 a month! I was making that tax free flying in a combat zone before college!
    I changed my major to Math and got my degree in that. When Radio Shack introduced their PC's, I bought one and did a lot of programming in BASIC... as a hobby and mainly to change games and give me more control.
    Oh, yeah... staples and paperclips, too!
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

1977 was driving a forklift for $5 an hour during the summer.
    Graduated with an A.A. in Data Processing (C+ average I think - LOL).
    Sent over 100 resumes into the L.A. basin.
    Got three interviews and one job offer for a Cobol Programmer at $4 an hour!
    Got married, bought a travel trailer and moved to Norco CA (where I knew nobody).
    All before I started my first day of work.

40+ years, two failed marriages, three kids and three grandkids later.
    I'm making 6 figures and preparing to retire.
    It's been a good ride

I remember paying over a hundred bucks for a Texas Instrument TI 30 calculator in the early 80’s which would be like 5 hundred bucks in todays money to get through electronics tech school and thinking that thing must have come from outer space because at that time we only needed pencil, paper, a desk phone and a Rolodex to work with and if in the field we used a pay phone to call the office if necessary…..Somehow we survived and made it work but then we got beepers and everything changed…….

Looking at todays world with people addicted to their cell phones with TikTok, Facebook, Twitter, Alexia, the dark web and AI I think we were much better off before we got so smart……..

Anybody remember these first car phones for the regular person? I made many a call like this from the driver side and it was only 10 cents.

1DD80EF5-E504-4492-BCD6-CC7519679BC7.jpg
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    Anybody remember these first car phones for the regular person? I made many a call like this from the driver side and it was only 10 cents.
    10 cents for you.
    I called collect

When I got out of the flying for the Navy I went to work for Chevrolet as an engineer. It was okay, but I wanted more, so I went to law school at night and got my JD in 1977. I worked as a corporate lawyer for twenty years until I got fed up with the profession. I bought my first computer about 1979, a Commodore 64 portable [?]. I taught myself how to program it and then jumped on the first IBM PC. I started my own computer company, and ran that until I got cancer in 2005 and retired. BTW, the cancer was gone in three months after a lot of radiation treatments, but I stayed quit since I was 76.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    10 cents for you.
    I called collect

I was recently cleaning out an old file cabinet and found an old cell phone bill. It was from Cellular One and it was for $9.95 for the month. It included 30 minutes and was .25 cents a minute if you went over the 30.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!