Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Xssights

Thread: New Member

Default New Member

Hey, y’all, I’m interested in buying my first Kahr and have done a lot of research on the p380 and cw380. Some of it led me here where there is a wealth of information.
    First, let me say “thank you” for all the time you put into educating one another and the lurkers, like I have been.

I am wanting a smaller pistol for pocket carry. I currently have a couple of different size pistols for IWB and OWB. The smaller Kahr 380’s fit the bill.

My question to the forum is about sights. My eyes need ‘em, and the CW won’t work for me without an upgrade. What is a good night sight upgrade for the CW? Or should I just shell out for the p380 on that basis.

Second question is about buying used and relying on Kahr warranty or pay as you go service if there are problems (or a gunsmith). Are the common issues people have pretty cheap to fix if my used purchase needs work?

Thanks again for your help.

Welcome to the forum. I can not speak to sight upgrades on the lil 380's as I have not done so. There are, as with any guns, a host of common issues that can be found with both the P and the CW. Most are addressed in various posts on here. If you are decently handy and have some basic tools, folks here will happily walk you through just about anything. On the other hand, there are plenty of folks on here that have purchased both new and used Kahr 380’s who have never had the slightest issue. If buying new break in, cleaning and lubing are important. Again, posts on here will walk you through that. If buying used, just depends on how used , you may still need to clean, lube and break it in. Probably the most common issue I've seen posted here would be the extractor on the earlier models. Not a concern with newer models as Kahr addressed it, making changes to that part. I had one of the earlier models with such issue, but I re shaped the extractor, following advice on here to do so. As I stated earlier, most anything can be fixed (not everything) by you, if you have the tools, some ability and ask for or research for help on here. If you buy a new one, clean, lube and break it in you MIGHT never need to learn about the repairs. The search function is your friend on here, as well as asking for help. Some good people on here who love to help. Once again, welcome and hope you get one you love!
    Last edited by BirdsThaWord; 11-10-2022 at 05:41 AM.

Thank you, BirdsThaWord!

Quote Originally Posted by Whogun View Post
    Thank you, BirdsThaWord!
    Certainly!

I have used the XS Big Dot sights on my Kahrs and have been very happy with them. Welcome to the forum.

https://xssights.com/products/sights...n-sights/kahr/
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Thanks so much for the tip. I had not heard of those, but they look like what I will need.

Default Night Sights

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    I have used the XS Big Dot sights on my Kahrs and have been very happy with them. Welcome to the forum.

https://xssights.com/products/sights...n-sights/kahr/
    My only Kahr is a MK40 Elite with factory three dot NS.
    Added a grip sleeve and that's it.
    My gun did take a lengthy break in process.
    But once done it will eat any brand/weight JHP like candy.
    It's also unusually accurate for such a small gun

I do have XS Big Dots on most of my guns though...

Great looking pistol! Wish I needed one of those!
    I found a used p380 with standard sights. If it’s a shooter, I will get the big dots. Those look perfect

I use the Big Dots also. Haven't found anything better except for Speed Sights which I would love but they only make them for firearms I don't own.

I put an XS small dot on my LCR revolver. Works almost as good.
    NRA Benefactor