Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Misc. chrono data

Default Misc. chrono data

A month ago I ran some 45 hand loads through the G2 chronograph. I’ve been loading this recipe for a number of years without testing. They “felt” good and are very accurate, so I just kept loading.

The loading is Acme coated 200g SWC over 4.8g of WST, Remington large primer and mixed brass. Ten feet from chrono. Five shot string average. I’m surprised at the velocity from JRC45 carbine.

MR BUL 1911G = 826.4 5” barrel
    CZ97 = 809.7 4.75” barrel
    Kahr TP45 = 799.6 4” barrel
    Kahr PM45 = 781.3 3” barrel
    JRC45 = 978.5 17” barrel
    Last edited by DJK11; 09-24-2023 at 09:47 AM.

That PM45 is still moving pretty good. I had wondered about that.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    That PM45 is still moving pretty good. I had wondered about that.
    I woulda thought the PM would have dropped down a little more from the TP, given other chronograph stuff I’ve looked at in the past. That’s pretty good. I am no reloader, so your recipe is Chinese to me, but that’s awesome that you are doing it and have it dialed in.

I read an article many years ago where they tested .45ACP and 9mm out of different length barrels. Barrel length did not have a lot of effect on the .45, but made a big difference with the 9mm.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    I read an article many years ago where they tested .45ACP and 9mm out of different length barrels. Barrel length did not have a lot of effect on the .45, but made a big difference with the 9mm.
    That’s good for the PM45, which I guess I need to take out of the safe now…
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Yes there are reports and testing about barrel length affecting the FPS of 45acp. How longer than a ten inch barrel is useless with 45. I can’t dispute their tests and don’t really care. I look at the numbers from my test and go from there.

The difference between a 3” and 4” barrel did surprise me but the FPS increased dramatically with the 17” JRC barrel. That was a shocker.

On another note, I did run a string of ACME coated 200 SWC with 7.2g of Silhouette through the JRC. Those zipped along at 1048 FPS. That 7.2g is .4g BELOW Ramshot’s published starting load. 7.6 - 8.4 is the listed range.

I also started loading and testing BE-86 with 38 super and 45acp. So far it’s worked darn good. Better in 45 but that may because I like running VV-n105 and VV-n38 in 38 super. A long winter so lots of hand loading.

I need to chrono some 38 super loads. Been shooting those blind using a recipe from a shooting bud. Didn’t do any run-n-gun with it this year just steel plates. VV105 with an ACME 122g is a tack driver at 25 yards. The BUL SAS II URF is a blast to shoot. 2011 with five inch comped barrel and twenty-eight round mags. Made for accurate speed shooting.