Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: H&R Top Break Collection

Default H&R Top Break Collection

Bawanna wanted to see these...

It came up on a Kahr T9 post when I mentioned I'd sell off some other old guns to get a T9 which I just found in a local shop.

This image is the H&R collection I "HAD" as of 5 years ago.....

Since then, I sold off the long-barreled USRA single-shot (VERY accurate, with a sweet trigger) and also the long-barreled Auto Ejecting series (getting 3X what I'd paid for it) and I also sold off several others too. I'd sold those others off, as per my comments made to Bawanna on the other thread:

"I used to collect them in mostly 5" or 6" barrel lengths if they were in good shape, but I also bought some shorter or longer ones if they were different enough. Now I focus only on collecting all the different versions of the H&R Sportsman Model 999 series (all models), plus the 199 (single action), 299 (DA "New Defender" or 777 (SA "Ultra Sportsman") models. At this point, I only need the uber-rare "Model 196 Eureka" version to have the full set of all the barrel lengths (2", 3", 4" and 6"), finishes (blue, nickel and an unfired blue factory-engraved one) and action types (DA or SA only) made in .22 LR. The 196 Eureka is a single-action-only version of the 999 (as is the 199) but has a super-short cylinder to minimize bullet jump into the bore."

A Model 999 Sportsman was my first ever handgun I bought, and I've had one ever since. When I first started collecting these older top breaks, prices were pretty reasonable and I've done really well on those I've sold -- and some I've bought! One of the Model 999s came new-in-box with all the paperwork from the local Cabela's for $199 -- at the time they were easily selling for $500 or more on Gunbroker, used, without a box. And the little "Model 299 New Defender" (2" barrel with a rounded factory-made boot grip) is really unique, and it was purchased for only $99 as the gun shop didn't know what they had; as 3 months earlier one had sold on Gunbroker for over $600 -- that one is a hoot to shoot!

I will have to take a group picture of the Model 999 Sportsmans and the other series which are related (as they share the same lockwork, but in SA or in DA, or with different finishes or grip frames), as at least 3 or 4 were added since 2017, but I have not gotten around to doing that yet.

Enjoy!

Old No7

H&R Collection 11-2017.jpg

"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

Those saw handle grips sorta look funny -- but they hold really well!

Problem is, there are no adjustable sights on those! Or even "visible" sights -- just 2 small and short notches at the rear to align the front sight with -- nothing at all like the adjustable sights on the Sportsman series.

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

That’s a really nice collection.
    The only top break in my safe is a newer North American Ranger II .22 magnum.
    And my only H&R is a 40 year old Topper single shot 12 gauge. Bought it new for about $50 then had a smith shorten the barrel to 19”.
    It served as my truck gun when I had a truck.
    It sits in a closet within reach of my computer work station.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Old No7 View Post
    Bawanna wanted to see these...

It came up on a Kahr T9 post when I mentioned I'd sell off some other old guns to get a T9 which I just found in a local shop.

This image is the H&R collection I "HAD" as of 5 years ago.....

Since then, I sold off the long-barreled USRA single-shot (VERY accurate, with a sweet trigger) and also the long-barreled Auto Ejecting series (getting 3X what I'd paid for it) and I also sold off several others too. I'd sold those others off, as per my comments made to Bawanna on the other thread:

"I used to collect them in mostly 5" or 6" barrel lengths if they were in good shape, but I also bought some shorter or longer ones if they were different enough. Now I focus only on collecting all the different versions of the H&R Sportsman Model 999 series (all models), plus the 199 (single action), 299 (DA "New Defender" or 777 (SA "Ultra Sportsman") models. At this point, I only need the uber-rare "Model 196 Eureka" version to have the full set of all the barrel lengths (2", 3", 4" and 6"), finishes (blue, nickel and an unfired blue factory-engraved one) and action types (DA or SA only) made in .22 LR. The 196 Eureka is a single-action-only version of the 999 (as is the 199) but has a super-short cylinder to minimize bullet jump into the bore."

A Model 999 Sportsman was my first ever handgun I bought, and I've had one ever since. When I first started collecting these older top breaks, prices were pretty reasonable and I've done really well on those I've sold -- and some I've bought! One of the Model 999s came new-in-box with all the paperwork from the local Cabela's for $199 -- at the time they were easily selling for $500 or more on Gunbroker, used, without a box. And the little "Model 299 New Defender" (2" barrel with a rounded factory-made boot grip) is really unique, and it was purchased for only $99 as the gun shop didn't know what they had; as 3 months earlier one had sold on Gunbroker for over $600 -- that one is a hoot to shoot!

I will have to take a group picture of the Model 999 Sportsmans and the other series which are related (as they share the same lockwork, but in SA or in DA, or with different finishes or grip frames), as at least 3 or 4 were added since 2017, but I have not gotten around to doing that yet.

Enjoy!

Old No7

H&R Collection 11-2017.jpg

That's a sweet pile of H&R's right there. Not sure I'd part with a single one for a T9. Those are SWEET!
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Yes, you had one heck of a collection. Did you ever lay down on the carpet and woller around in 'em?
    I would have!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    Yes, you had one heck of a collection. Did you ever lay down on the carpet and.............
    Nope, but I'm rolling in CA$H now!

I took 5 of them -- (1) hammerless in .32, (2) Auto Ejecting in .32 & .38, (1) Target in .22 and (1) "22 Special" in .22 LR -- to a big box store that starts with a "C" and while I was hoping to get $650 to break even, I got double that amount. So the new-to-me T9 came home with me this morning.

As for selling them, I'm focused solely on the Model 999 series (or similar models) now -- and those others had been safe queens for too long (long enough to 2X in value though!).

Old No7

I had been wondering about the value, figured they were worth considerable. Obviously even more than I thought. Good investment on your part. Bad that none are coming to live with me. Those are sweet.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Well congratulations then Old No7! Sounds like you made out really well. This one of the reasons I mostly collect metal guns. I don't see the tupperware ever increasing in value. If these things were going to be a part of my retirement plan or a pass along, I would pretty much never buy tupperware.