Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CW9 won't fire, trigger all the way back

Default CW9 won't fire, trigger all the way back

My wife's EDC CW9 won't fire with trigger pull. I can get it to fire if I pull trigger very hard against the stop. Gun has always required pulling trigger almost to the stop, which has concerned me since day 1. Instincts told me it would some day fail to fire, and now that day is here. I think this is a known issue, just looking for a fix. I lubed all the recommended places for the CW9 and it started to work, but trigger pull was still almost against the stop. Next day I tried it and it failed to fire again, so I think I am done. I want this gun to fire with at least 1/4 inch of travel remaining in order to trust it. Is that possible with this model?

I had a similar issue with a CW45 which required some trigger bar work. You may want to give Kahr a call. Not sure if you will get that 1/4 inch your looking for though as all mine break all the way back but it should be fixable. I never had a problem with my 9mm, only my 45.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    I had a similar issue with a CW45 which required some trigger bar work. You may want to give Kahr a call. Not sure if you will get that 1/4 inch your looking for though as all mine break all the way back but it should be fixable. I never had a problem with my 9mm, only my 45.
    I'd like to repair it, do you remember what you did to repair the trigger bar? Kahr wants me to pay them to fix it. If it's just some filing or replacing a part I can do that

Quote Originally Posted by Laneman View Post
    I'd like to repair it, do you remember what you did to repair the trigger bar? Kahr wants me to pay them to fix it. If it's just some filing or replacing a part I can do that
    If I remember correctly I had to bend the trigger bar ever so slightly to make the trigger to cocking cam distance a little shorter so that it would allow the cocking cam to rotate a little farther (if I remember right it was not rotating far enough) and release the striker in the slide. You could always order another trigger bar from Kahr in case you see some odd wearing. Replacing the trigger bar is not for the faint of heart though. At times you need 3 hands to get it all back together.

If you want to do what may sound like a weird test, unload the pistol and put it in the freezer to get real cold then take it out and dry fire it to see if it works better. It won’t fix the problem but could tell you just how little tolerance we’re talking about. Again if I remember right mine would fail when it got warm but worked every time when really cold.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Visit here:

Lineman, if you look at the little removable plastic plate on the side of the frame, behind there is where the trigger bar usually bows outward. When they are shot a lot the contact point with the cocking cam grows apart as the trigger bar wears the backside of that plastic plate (allows it to move more outward). If memory serves me, one forum member here replaced the plate with a new one, after discovering how worn it was, which pushed the bar back up against the cocking cam, making it work again. Try removing that plastic plate and looking for wear there. Test the trigger, with that side plate off by pushing the trigger bar inwards with your finger while trying to pull the trigger to see if it works while doing so. This would mimic a newly installed side plate, which would also push that trigger bar inwards. This is a much easier observation and test to perform than replacing a trigger bar. Hope this helps and hope you get it running reliably again.

I love this site. Lots of helpful people here.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    Lineman, if you look at the little removable plastic plate on the side of the frame, behind there is where the trigger bar usually bows outward. When they are shot a lot the contact point with the cocking cam grows apart as the trigger bar wears the backside of that plastic plate (allows it to move more outward). If memory serves me, one forum member here replaced the plate with a new one, after discovering how worn it was, which pushed the bar back up against the cocking cam, making it work again. Try removing that plastic plate and looking for wear there. Test the trigger, with that side plate off by pushing the trigger bar inwards with your finger while trying to pull the trigger to see if it works while doing so. This would mimic a newly installed side plate, which would also push that trigger bar inwards. This is a much easier observation and test to perform than replacing a trigger bar. Hope this helps and hope you get it running reliably again.
    Good idea. I forgot about that. A side plate may do it.

The hillbilly in me would put duct tape where it’s worn. It wouldn’t work but that’s in my genes I think.

Visit here:

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    Good idea. I forgot about that. A side plate may do it.

The hillbilly in me would put duct tape where it’s worn. It wouldn’t work but that’s in my genes I think.
    You probably would not be the first to do so. I’ve found all sorts of hillbilly stuff on non working guns I’ve bought. Kinda forces one to learn! I would actually do something similar though, if in a pinch, which would be to find some very slim (slimmer than a credit card), smooth plastic (such as a plastic package that new grips or a magazine might come in). Cut a piece to shape, slightly wider than the trigger bar, then super glue it to the backside of the plate. Then add some grease to the outside of the trigger bar where it would rub the new plastic. Not a long term solution, but should work for a while while sourcing a new plate.

Thanks for the tips. Will pull side plate and try all the suggestions to see what works.

Quote Originally Posted by Laneman View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Will pull side plate and try all the suggestions to see what works.
    Good luck with it and please keep us updated. Rootin for ya!